I need some help/advice for my first Koi pond build!!! Hole is already dug.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Determine the size of pots you will be putting on the shelf and that will help you determine. For my lily pots, 1 foot was enough.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Determine the size of pots you will be putting on the shelf and that will help you determine. For my lily pots, 1 foot was enough.

Good advice. One foot wide shelves are usually more than sufficient for placing pots. Changing just this one measurement will add almost 500 gallons to the total pond capacity. Capacity that will prove valuable when raising Koi. This will also increase the size pump and filter needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will work on digging the shelf and square out tonight when I get home from work and post a new picture. Then you guys can let me know if I need to take anything else away. What kind of filtration system would be the best to go with? I dont want to spend a whole lot of money right now. But if I do enjoy this a lot I am going to a huge pod and would not mind putting alot of money into it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The PT 346 pump included in this combo package is only rated at 2000 gph. Used to power a waterfall, it will produce even less flow, about 1700 at 2 feet. This is less than the total capacity of the proposed pond. Ideally, you need between a 3500gph - 4700 gph pump.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
There is no cheap way to do this. Not in a way you wont kick yourself for later. The best system imo is a skimmer,pump in skimmer then to a outflow like a falls.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpeg
    IMG_3207.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
That is some fantastic looking soil for digging,I suggest making it bigger! If my dirt looked that good I would have a 5000 gallon pond instead of a 2500. As for the pump for yiur current size I use and recomend matala geyser flow pump. I have a 4000 gph model. I recomend and use a skimmer but you'll need to cut into the liner but that's easy and foolproof if yiur careful. As for gravel on the bottom ,it's nothing but a debris catcher and I wouldnt use it . If it's in full sun then get an appropriate uv clarifier, you wont regret that.

Agreed, no gravel, especially with a main drain... Yikes !!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The PT 346 pump included in this combo package is only rated at 2000 gph. Used to power a waterfall, it will produce even less flow, about 1700 at 2 feet. This is less than the total capacity of the proposed pond. Ideally, you need between a 3500gph - 4700 gph pump.

Exactly as Meyer said. ... You'll need something to handle a larger capacity. There are many filters. This is the one I posted in a picture below on my pond and they're costly. That price is without the external pump. You can find less expensive, yet somewhat comparable filters. This one says 5000 gallon. That's pushing it but I'm using it on 2000 gallons. You would want some overkill to account for fish size in the future. As already said, they grow fast....

http://www.aquabead.com/AlphaONE-250-Filter/AlphaONE-250-Filter-from-GCTek-p-43.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

At least !!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

You are getting closer, but not quite there yet.

Assuming that these are quality items and the stated performance specs are accurate a couple of quick observations can be made.
1) While the pressure filter is a proper size for this pond, it has a max allowable flow rate of 4000 gph. The pump that you have chosen is rated at 5500 gph. It will quickly overpower the filter and the filter seals will not hold. I would suggest a larger filter.
2) The skimmer does not denote max flow rate but this I am confident that it will not handle the flow rate of the pump that you have chosen. A permanently installed perimeter box skimmer would be a better choice.
3) The UV needs to be plumbed with a separate line. It will require a considerably lower flow rate to be effective.
4) No need for a sand/gravel filter. Would just be an added maintenance item.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer.
1.People were telling me i need a pre filter before my pump so it would not clog up and burn up. They were recommending these $1000 and $2000 pre filters. Do you have any recommendations for a pre filter or something i can even make? I want to use the sand and gravel filter after my pump tho.

2. Here are the specs for the skimmer.
Effective Pond Surface: 270 sq. ft.
- Installation Depth: 14 - 34 in
- Recommended Pump Capacity: 1600 to 3500 gph, Pump sold separately
- Pump Connection: 1 1/2 in threaded, Tubing Connector: 3/4in, 1 in, 1 1/4 in., 1 1/2 in.
- Dimensions (Dia. x H) - 13-3/4" x 14" to 34"

3. Do I just branch it off the main line?

4. I would like to do the sand and gravel filter as I already have all the parts around the house for it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer.
1.People were telling me i need a pre filter before my pump so it would not clog up and burn up. They were recommending these $1000 and $2000 pre filters. Do you have any recommendations for a pre filter or something i can even make? I want to use the sand and gravel filter after my pump tho.

2. Here are the specs for the skimmer.
Effective Pond Surface: 270 sq. ft.
- Installation Depth: 14 - 34 in
- Recommended Pump Capacity: 1600 to 3500 gph, Pump sold separately
- Pump Connection: 1 1/2 in threaded, Tubing Connector: 3/4in, 1 in, 1 1/4 in., 1 1/2 in.
- Dimensions (Dia. x H) - 13-3/4" x 14" to 34"

3. Do I just branch it off the main line?

4. I would like to do the sand and gravel filter as I already have all the parts around the house for it.

1) Perimeter mounted skimmers can be obtained fgor much less than $1000.

2) With a max flow rate of 3500 gph, this is too small for your pump. Additionally I would be very hesitant to try to pull 3500 gph through 1 1/2" pipe.

3) Yes. You will need to add a valve to control the flow rate.

4) Do you have the appropriate size air pump needed for this type of filter?
Also keep in mind that this type of filter is gravity flow and the max flow rate for these systems is about 2000 gph.
Basic_Sand_Gravel_Layout_large.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. I dont want to cut my liner thats why i was going with an in pond skimmer.

2. I will see if i can find a bigger one.

4. I was gonna build the Birdman one were it feeds the water in from the bottom. Thats what everyone else told me to us atleast. The build does not say anything about an airpump. It says i can hook a shopvac to it when i want to clean it out.

Ask a Question