I need some help/advice for my first Koi pond build!!! Hole is already dug.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
4. I was gonna build the Birdman one were it feeds the water in from the bottom. Thats what everyone else told me to us atleast. The build does not say anything about an airpump. It says i can hook a shopvac to it when i want to clean it out.

Read some more about this type of filter. To work properly it requires an air pump otherwise it will rapidly clog. I really do not think that you need this. If you want to polish the water a 'Bog' (upflow wetlands filter) would accomplish the same thing with the added feature of plants and the diversity of aquatic organisms that they attract.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok so no more sand and gravel filter. And i dont want a bog either. What filter would you recommend.

Reaction score
Country
United States
People were telling me I needed 1 before and 1 after my pump. So i just assumed I did.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is needed on the intake side of the pump is mechanical filtration to filter out all large debris. Its primary function is to protect the pump. This is the purpose of a skimmer. All bio-filtration is on the outlet side of the pump.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't understand the hesitation about cutting the liner. It's an easy operation and with sealed being used it fairly goof proof. Also so much easier to stuff filtration in the skimmer box and falls with no need for any fancy external filters. Install the uv clarifier between the skimmer and falls and bobs your uncle.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't understand the hesitation about cutting the liner. It's an easy operation and with sealed being used it fairly goof proof. Also so much easier to stuff filtration in the skimmer box and falls with no need for any fancy external filters. Install the uv clarifier between the skimmer and falls and bobs your uncle.

People were telling me I needed 1 before and 1 after my pump. So i just assumed I did.

There's nothing like an in wall skimmer ... I also really don't see that UV handling a pond this size ... I've been using this pre-filter
( should you decide on one ) for my 4th season now. It's excellent and much more cost effective than what you had listed...

http://www.aquabead.com/AquaSieve-Prefilter/AquaSieve2-Pond-Strainer-p-16.html

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
A matala geyserflo at around 4000 gph would be perfect for your pond if you went with a skimmer. Mine uses about 35.00 bucks a month for electric though but hey,that's the way it goes .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A matala geyserflo at around 4000 gph would be perfect for your pond if you went with a skimmer. Mine uses about 35.00 bucks a month for electric though but hey,that's the way it goes .

We must be on a similar page when it comes to UV use, good equipment and less maintenance. Though I'm not a bog guy,
this equipment list seems very inefficient that is being suggested for a 3000 gallon pond. . Building a good pond is costly when using a well thought out system. I can't see spending less, only to have to replace equipment and spend it again because it's not efficient ... or because you're constantly cleaning and maintaining. Many different school of thoughts up here. We want to enjoy our koi, not having to squint through the algae to see them. Some don't believe in UV's for ex: but, I have 2. One is a 57 watt Aqua, the other a Uvinex in the Savio. Algae is non existent, yet no matter what I do, even with zero phosphate and perfect water chemistry, that water doesn't compare when the UV's are off. Have you looked at the equipment list for that new 3000 gallon pond?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
We must be on a similar page when it comes to UV use, good equipment and less maintenance. Though I'm not a bog guy,
this equipment list seems very inefficient that is being suggested for a 3000 gallon pond. . Building a good pond is costly when using a well thought out system. I can't see spending less, only to have to replace equipment and spend it again because it's not efficient ... or because you're constantly cleaning and maintaining. Many different school of thoughts up here. We want to enjoy our koi, not having to squint through the algae to see them. Some don't believe in UV's for ex: but, I have 2. One is a 57 watt Aqua, the other a Uvinex in the Savio. Algae is non existent, yet no matter what I do, even with zero phosphate and perfect water chemistry, that water doesn't compare when the UV's are off. Have you looked at the equipment list for that new 3000 gallon pond?
To that last part,no I havnt. Opening links is a pita on my cell phone. Op asked for opinions on how to do a pond,I give advice on what I know works not approval for what op thinks will work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A good idea is to buy a digital water meter to meter in your water when your ready to top up your pond :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Ele...58428898&sr=8-7&keywords=Digital+water+meters

That way you know exactly home much water your adding to the pond to fill it up.
This becomes important when your treating your fish, you need to know exactly how much water is in the pond for when you need to treat your fish , thus you'll know just how much in the way of threatments your going to need to use and it is vitally important to get things just right when adding chemicals to the water .

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question