I wonder how much stress this weather causes?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Warmer here too this winter than usual and scary thing is all those lovely buds and blooms could be whacked by a cold freeze yet to come. We are not outta the woods yet. I have one Hydrangea bush my neighbor gave me a few yrs ago that I planted and it has never bloomed cuz it is barely hardy here and it blooms off last yrs growth and every year the top growth freezes all the way to the ground so all buds are lost. Only gets green leaves after that. This year it might make it! :fingersx:

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Warm here too. Was thinking about putting my pump back in if it looks like it is going to stay above normal for the next couple of weeks. Tonight I saw what looks like the buds on trees starting to grow, my maple and grapes have what looks like little growth on the buds. Just waiting for the hard freeze to come and knock out all the buds this spring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OH goody tmann that means our little furry masked friends will be coming back this summer/fall whenever the grapes ripen! Maybe they will bring their grandchildren this year
raccoonleaf.gif

Reaction score
I used to live in Nebraska, and heard of record temp swings in Spearfish, a quick google:

There really is not an easy way to explain Chinook winds without getting into some pretty technical meteorology, but no discussion of Black Hills weather would be complete without mentioning the Chinook. The reason is that the Black Hills of South Dakota are home to the world's fastest recorded rise in temperature, a record that has held for nearly six decades.
On January 22, 1943, the northern and eastern slopes of the Black Hills were at the western edge of an Arctic airmass and under a temperature inversion. A layer of shallow Arctic air hugged the ground from Spearfish to Rapid City. At about 7:30am MST, the temperature in Spearfish was -4 degrees Fahrenheit. The Chinook kicked in, and two minutes later the temperature was 45 degrees above zero. The 49 degree rise in two minutes set a world record that is still on the books. By 9:00am, the temperature had risen to 54 degrees. Suddenly, the Chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to -4 degrees. The 58 degree drop took only 27 minutes.

Read more: http://wiki.answers....e#ixzz1lCJUI0LZ

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our trees here are budding out, crocus blooming, daffodils growing tall, roses sending out new leaves. weird

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Been in the 60's this week. My fish were out feeding last night so I gave them a little snack. The snow is starting to fall this evening, and they are claiming up to 22 inches on the ground by tomorrow night!

I would find it very interesting to see the pond freeze over, and so much snow fall on top that you cannot see the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck with your snow fall shdwdrgn, they are saying we might get a touch of it on sunday, from your storm, winter mix, ie sleet, rain or some snow

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Things are starting to come up here also and the sun is brightly shining today. Was cold last night to freezing but nice and warm it's getting now! Going to help neighbors prune their fruit trees. I love the sunshine...............but I love the snow..............oh what a delima!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Huskerfan good gosh that quick a change in temps could really be a shock to the body .I would not want to be a plant or tree at that time .Benn in the 60's here and I have got a lot done ,I spryed all my trees with horticulteral oil just incase we get a frost it does not harm the tree buds as much .So far the weather has been holding steady but you never know .I gave all my fruit trees a boost also with fruit tree fertilizer .I got a 12 pots of croton plants 2 feet high for a dollar each yeterday o the way over to the other house ,there is a big plant nursery that had a sign they were having a hugh sale so I stopped in to see what they had .I also got 2 cherry trees ,15 dollars each and they are 8 feet high already .He had more plants but my truck was getting full .I guess most of Colorado is getting that soft fluffy snow by what I saw on the weather channel

Ask a Question