Ideas for water features

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just completed a raised pond (dimension of 4x3x2 feet, see attached photo) to raise my koi fries, hatched approx 2 week ago. I’ve rigged it with submerged pumps to filter and oxygenate but plan to have a waterfall to make it nice and enjoyable. I’m l
E576B535-5C47-4145-B1D6-5E5511756AA6.jpeg
ooking for ideas for water features for my pond, photos or rough sketches are welcomed. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A lot of people attach a rectangular flower trough on top toward the back. They use that for a mini bog filter. The pond water gets pumped to the bottom of the mini bog which is full of pea gravel. Under the gravel is a PVC pipe with slits in it to spread the water flow. A waterfall cutout permits the water to flow back into the pond. It looks really nice, it's a great filter and helps to oxygenate the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of people attach a rectangular flower trough on top toward the back. They use that for a mini bog filter. The pond water gets pumped to the bottom of the mini bog which is full of pea gravel. Under the gravel is a PVC pipe with slits in it to spread the water flow. A waterfall cutout permits the water to flow back into the pond. It looks really nice, it's a great filter and helps to oxygenate the water.
I got it. I was thinking of joining two rectangular wooden boxes (spray with flex seal, a type of liquid rubber) like a stair case with the bog filter on top and water flown down to the second box onto the pond. Your idea of a plastic flower trough is simpler, better water proof and much more doable. Thank you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@quangai Watcha gonna do w/them when they get bigger? Do you have another bigger pond for them or are you selling them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wooden boxes like a staircase sounds great. You can use a piece of liner or like you said...flex seal. I don't know how good that stuff is, I've never used it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wooden boxes like a staircase sounds great. You can use a piece of liner or like you said...flex seal. I don't know how good that stuff is, I've never used it.
I probably will follow up with the flower trough approach for reasons stated in my previous reply. It’s also low risk and stable. I’m thinking of having two outlets for water return and one near the top edge for overflow control. Last year I made a filter box like that using a plastic container and it worked quite well. I may not have a fancy looking waterfall but I gain a bog filter which is functional and can still be attractive. So, I’m more comfortable with the tried and true approach :) Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds good. Keep us updated when you set that up.
Here’s my bog filter, thanks to your suggestion. The deck planter is of soft plastic so it’s bulging out a bit due to volume of water. The cutout spills water on the outside of the planter unevenly, but it works well to control overflowing. I add an elbow outlet to center the flow and help with oxygenation.
6C9E5763-BD6E-439A-8A4E-517FCF291D62.jpeg
CD3F4243-7AA7-4717-A577-CFFB523D8355.jpeg

Ask a Question