If you could start all over

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, you'll appreciate the extra time you put into design and the extra filtration in case you ever want to do anything crazy with the volume of fish in your pond.

I think an extra mechanical filter after a skimmer is probably unneccesary, but I would do it since S&G filters are too simple to not do and very easy to maintain and can be buried without worries.

I have heard of bottom drains, depending on its design, are able to suck in small fish, small frogs, etc. Look into the anti-vortex designed bottom drain. I am still reading about this so don't know much of it, but it might be something for you to look into. Since there is that possibility of small fish able to swim into a bottom drain, then you might want to think of pre-filtering after the bottom drain such as a sieve filter or a settlement chamber before the water enters the bottom of the S&G filter. I have seen bottom drain water being pumped directly into a S&G without any pre-filters and I have seen acorns, leaves, and twigs being flushed out of the S&G when the S&G is being blown, but this is not to say it takes everything that might get lodged in the S&G. Something to think about at least. :)

Be sure you properly mechanically filter the debris before it has the chance to accumulate in the bio-filter. At this moment, it is my understanding that most of the beneficial bacteria live in the top 1.5cm layer of debris or organic matter on the ground or on the filter media; physico-chemical factors and bacteria in fish ponds is a good read to give you a perspective on the matter. If the debris accumulation becomes too thick, then oxygen saturation is reduced causing your bacteria to be dead or less efficient.

As I mentioned before, there are quite a few people who just do simple, whatever that will work, and is happy as long as their fish are pretty and alive. Since you are considering a bottom drain and water currents with pond returns, this is a step further than a common pond setup will implement. I am not for sure what the flow rate would be out of pond returns to create a good water current, but I think you do not need much flow to achieve a simple current to consolidate the debris toward the bottom drain.

Reaction score
Shalam: sounds like you're in a reality fixed positon with converitng the pool; but always keep in mind ease of maintenance; I should have used a larger pipe size, and with pond additions, waterwheel for example, now I need to upgrade pipe size - should have thought of that before.

Really think thrugh the amount of filtration and aereation; you really cant have too much of either, and it will also help for ease of maintenance.

Plants/flowers: they add to the equation as well, great for filtration and enjoyment, and with floating islands, your imagination is the limit.

What type of pond - formal Koi, or garden, we used a primitve farm/country type theme, for example.

Ponding does take time, devotion to the hobby and as I've stated before the Devine definition of patience is "ponding".

It's a great hobby, whole family can be involved and enjoy, you can alway be "tinkering" with pond things, changes, plants,etc.,

I find it a good stress relief - since I work out of my home, I can take a break and go outside, and enjouy a few minutes

But, as mentioned before, it can limit your time away - when we went to israel last year, we had a lady say at the house to care for the dogs, and keep an eye on the pond, andI had a neighbor who checked in on the pond and I set up an air pump should the main pump fail, all that was required was plugging it in. Now, Im in the process of finishing a pump house, so if needed, the backup pump is installed and all that needs to be done is close one valve, open a second valve and flip 2 switches.

Hope this helps your thoughts.

McKool

Ask a Question