Impatiens in the waterfall

Reaction score
I always refer to your pond pictures when I want to add plants to and around my pond.
You are too sweet!

Do you have cardinal flower around your pond? We thought ours had completely died this year, but late in the summer discovered a whole new group of plants that reseeded themselves in a different location - I was so excited! I love my cardinal flowers and so do the hummingbirds!

Ad

Advertisements

cas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No I haven't tried cardinal flower. The one side of the pond is starting to get more shade and I am actually replacing some of the flowers with hosta.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the impatiens, do the roots just go in the water without a container with soil?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yup. The water is chock full of nutrients that the impatiens will thrive on. The only possible drawback is how incredibly large they will get. I planted a single plant - out of a 2" pot - and it took over the waterfall to the extent that I eventually removed the whole plant. The roots were everywhere and were wicking away water from the pond. But, in all honesty, to use an old Seinfeld line: "they're spectacular"

Reaction score
For the impatiens, do the roots just go in the water without a container with soil?
That's correct. I leave the tiny soil plug intact on the plant - I buy the tray with 32 or 36 plants so they start out very small. I just push the plug into any spot that I can find where they will be in contact with the water. I only use about a 10 or 12 of these in my two waterfalls, so then I find little shady spots all over the yard to plant the rest. They really make a big impact by mid-summer!

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's correct. I leave the tiny soil plug intact on the plant - I buy the tray with 32 or 36 plants so they start out very small. I just push the plug into any spot that I can find where they will be in contact with the water. I only use about a 10 or 12 of these in my two waterfalls, so then I find little shady spots all over the yard to plant the rest. They really make a big impact by mid-summer!
And if I put them in the water, do they survive the winter and rebloom next season or would they just last the one season. I’m in CT.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
They're annuals here - I'd assume the same for you. First light frost we get, they're done. Very very tender annual.

Ask a Question