in ground pond coping

Reaction score
I have considered digging out a ledge, but appearance wise I am not a big fan. Run off also shouldn't be much of an issue where the pond is, water should be flowing away from the pond instead of towards it. I will create a small lip to raise the line an inch or so just to be safe.

I must say, rock on a roll is looking pretty good so far. I have checked out quite of few installs people have done and I am impressed. I might order up a roll just to play with it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you do the rock on a roll show us how it worked out for you so we can let others know in case they want to give it a try. Looking at the photo of your pond it does look like the soil is at a slope downward away from your pond so that's a good thing.

Reaction score
I have considered digging out a ledge, but appearance wise I am not a big fan. Run off also shouldn't be much of an issue where the pond is, water should be flowing away from the pond instead of towards it. I will create a small lip to raise the line an inch or so just to be safe.

I must say, rock on a roll is looking pretty good so far. I have checked out quite of few installs people have done and I am impressed. I might order up a roll just to play with it.

I bought the rock on a roll too in a desperate attempt to hide the liner. I think to do it right, it would be just as much work as digging a ledge, the ROAR basically ended up looking grey pond liner. That's it. I used a piece under a waterfall that had some issues, that bit looks great, it got a bit mossy and discolored to a very natural look.

Addie cut it up and stuck it in clumps, I didn't do that, I just laid it out like a sheet and it looked like grey liner.

Please keep us up to date on what you decide to do, lots of people on here have the same problem.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thats a lot of liner to hide.
I would spend more time working on the edge, bringing the water level up to the bottom of the flagstones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I gotta go with j.w. here... you're at the perfect stage to fix what will be an aggravating situation otherwise. A shallow shelf will allow you to do exactly what you need to do to conceal the liner. It will also give you spots where you can tuck plants between the rocks on the pond side to help break up the rock edge. Just my two cents.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
What I've done is to use a mix of natural mulch, spanish moss, flat stones, stones, partial tree trunks and plantings to surround our pond. Where practical the liner is covered in a sand, dirt, paver underlayment mixture.

026.JPG

044.JPG

098.JPG

064.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like the way you did yours Lou as it looks so natural. I would like to change mine up a bit to have more flat stone around the top edge. How many inches is your ledge away from the wall? Love what you did w/ the moss to hide the liner in spots.

Reaction score
Pond looks great Lou, very natural look.

I wonder if there is a safe compromise somewhere for the coping. I have some space limitations on two sides of the pond that would prevent me from doing a ledge and using the large flagstones.

I wish there was some easy way to morter in rocks on the vertical sides, this would be ideal for me. Second would be the Rock on a roll. Last would be to dig out the shelf (Would be easy, but not desired)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I like the way you did yours Lou as it looks so natural. I would like to change mine up a bit to have more flat stone around the top edge. How many inches is your ledge away from the wall? Love what you did w/ the moss to hide the liner in spots.

Safest answer is it varies for 0 to 4 inches depending if a big stone is under the ledge. Look closely and you may be able to see the variations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pond looks great Lou, very natural look.

I wonder if there is a safe compromise somewhere for the coping. I have some space limitations on two sides of the pond that would prevent me from doing a ledge and using the large flagstones.

I wish there was some easy way to morter in rocks on the vertical sides, this would be ideal for me. Second would be the Rock on a roll. Last would be to dig out the shelf (Would be easy, but not desired)

Trail and error. Immigrant ion is your friend. Have no idea about motaring side stones. Let you know if I come up with any ideas.

Reaction score
Digging a small shelf is really what you need to put the rocks on to hid the liner. I stacked and foamed mine into place. google or search on this site for Waterbug he has many ideas also. All the choices will take work, there is no easy way out TRUST US we have tried and been sorry. Unless you like doing the same work over and over it is just best to dig the shelf now. Looks like you have room and plenty of liner. It doesn't have to be deep or super wide just enough to put a pretty rock on. You will also use the shelves for different types of plants to soften the edges from too much rock showing. I have to stare at a couple of sections of liner in my pond all winter now and I don't like it one bit, but that leaves me more work for the spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have 2 inch think Arkansas sandstone around mine covering the tarp. Nothing mortared in like my other pond on the other side of the yard. As long as you keep 3/4 of it on land you can totally stand on it.

Ask a Question