In Need of a Heater for our Turtle Pond (NOT A DE-ICER!!!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Did you find a heater as we have a yellow slider about 7 yrs old in a 90 gallon In our sunroom looking to put in a preformed 100 gallon pond like you've done - Chesapeake, VA- thank you
if you're keeping the turtle in a preform just for the summer, you don't need a heater. If over winter, I'd think again; that 100 gallon preform is going to either freeze over (and kill your turtle, probably) or any heater you put in, to keep the water 'water' and not ice, is going to cost you big $$. You really need something IN GROUND that is 24" minimum depth, and even then, I'd be a bit worried. Deeper is better, larger is better, when overwintering turtles and fish.

Alternately, you could erect a greenhouse type structure over the pond. That small a preform is still going to need something though to insure it doesn't freeze all the way down, but you'd cut your costs and wouldn't need as much heat to do what you want to do. If the turtle means anything to you, just take it out in the summer and pull it back in for winter.

Also, if you're not aware, turtles can and will climb/escape if your pond area is NOT fenced in, 18-24" height, angled inward toward the pond, AND buried 6" below the ground, because they can also dig.

Good Luck!

:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
No idea what your problem is, but please feel free to stop responding to this thread since you obviously aren't here for anything more than to troll and act like a total a**hole. I can assure you, ALL of my pets are very well taken care of. So please, go lash out at someone else.
I don't know much about turtles, so I can't comment on their life cycle in relation to water temperature.

I do know you can buy trough heaters they use for horses. If they don't have something to protect your plastic pond, maybe you can make something to keep the heating elements away from the plastic.

I don't believe anyone was lashing out. I believe they are legitimately looking out for the well being of your critters.

No need to curse someone out. That's just wrong.

This has always been a very friendly forum with caring and knowledgeable people.

We are here to help out and be helped.

The well being of all your critters is number one here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know much about turtles, so I can't comment on their life cycle in relation to water temperature.

I do know you can buy trough heaters they use for horses. If they don't have something to protect your plastic pond, maybe you can make something to keep the heating elements away from the plastic.

I don't believe anyone was lashing out. I believe they are legitimately looking out for the well being of your critters.

No need to curse someone out. That's just wrong.

This has always been a very friendly forum with caring and knowledgeable people.

We are here to help out and be helped.

The well being of all your critters is number one here.
ya been bit again, BFC Prez!! DOTS gotcha!

Ask a Question