In over my head, building a huge waterfall. Need pointers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OOOOOOKKKKKK update here.

Well it has been a long 10 days. Here is a video from 7 days ago:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here is one from yesterday:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I feel like summer is headed out in a few weeks. But, I am going to get as much done before as I can.

My list of the weekend is:

• Finish plumbing
  • Foam the last drop before the pond
  • Wash down and pump out
  • Fill
  • Test / Sit out and watch this thing go

We'll see how close I get to the last one...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Whoa, massive undertaking and it is looking great! Hope the rest of it all goes smoothly w/no leaks or re-do's on anything. Love all those huge rocks! We've had a great, long, warm Summer here this year in Washington so you had a lot of days to work out there getting this project finished.
Not sure what Winter will bring us but hope you get the pond up and running before then. Maybe soon we will get some much needed rain to help you fill it up :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whoa, massive undertaking and it is looking great! Hope the rest of it all goes smoothly w/no leaks or re-do's on anything. Love all those huge rocks! We've had a great, long, warm Summer here this year in Washington so you had a lot of days to work out there getting this project finished.
Not sure what Winter will bring us but hope you get the pond up and running before then. Maybe soon we will get some much needed rain to help you fill it up :)

Thanks. Agreed. It held up all winter last winter, but I had to seam the liner to make the pond bigger. not my preference but had to do it. Hoping to put water in soon to test.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking forward to water running down the hill for the first time' Always love hearing the builder say well i think the water is going to go over here with a tail of water there etc etc before the water flows and see how close we are

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I agree @GBBUDD.

I have a question: how much evaporation can I expect? The pond is like 7-20'?
I live north of Seattle about 50 miles. Depends on heat, wind, ice, everything! I don't lose much all year round, maybe an inch or two in Summer at the hottest times once a month. I never need to top it off except except in Summer due to evaporation. I do have a low spot somewhere tho. Think ground got soggy and rocks pushed the liner down somewhere. Not much tho so I'm not going to bother looking for the area where it seeps over. Would be a nightmare moving rocks etc.!

IMG_9509.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the notes. It's especially helpful since you are in my region.
IMG_2057.jpg

I filled the pond yesterday to about 8-10 inches. The water equalized with the intake bay. But now I think I might have a leak. We are slowly losing a 1/16-1/8 every hour or so.

This is obviously worst case, since many of the rocks are not movable. I do have access to the liner under the river rock.

How can I find where the water is going? IS there like a dye or something that would help track it? I have patch kits and everything, but I need to find it.

IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree @GBBUDD.

I have a question: how much evaporation can I expect? The pond is like 7-20'?
Your not going to be like anyone else large waterfalls fast flowing water splashing and winds are all magnified all the rock is absorbing water while the rest of rock is baking in the sun . But I would guesstimate if your losing more than 100 gallons a day you may have a leak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your not going to be like anyone else large waterfalls fast flowing water splashing and winds are all magnified all the rock is absorbing water while the rest of rock is baking in the sun . But I would guesstimate if your losing more than 100 gallons a day you may have a leak
Thanks, I have not turned anything on. I just filled to 8-10 inches to test things out and left it alone. So my loss is is likely a leak. How can I go about finding it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your talking your pond you let it sit and drain . When it stops there is one leak at the water line . But there maybe another the water already drain past .

It's not a fun task by any means

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your talking your pond you let it sit and drain . When it stops there is one leak at the water line . But there maybe another the water already drain past .
You are correct and yes. My biggest question is: is there any way to track where the leak is happening?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some have used milk on a c alm day . There are other products out there ike dies I have never had to use them . . Not to say I didn't hunt down a leak before but I got lucky persay

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When you look for the leak turn off all incoming water to your pond, waterfalls, streams etc. I think you said you did this. Then allow water to go down in pond to where it stops falling. Then add a bit of water to raise the level up some and then use the milk and check all around for where it is seeping out. Gosh you have a ton of rocks all around. This is going to be a lot of work but at least if you can find the exact area it will be a bit easier. Hopefully only one area that leaks as more will be a nightmare IMO! I hope the leaking does not continue all the way to the bottom!

Reaction score
Country
United States
When you look for the leak turn off all incoming water to your pond, waterfalls, streams etc. I think you said you did this. Then allow water to go down in pond to where it stops falling. Then add a bit of water to raise the level up some and then use the milk and check all around for where it is seeping out. Gosh you have a ton of rocks all around. This is going to be a lot of work but at least if you can find the exact area it will be a bit easier. Hopefully only one area that leaks as more will be a nightmare IMO! I hope the leaking does not continue all the way to the bottom!
Ok, yep. No incoming water. Thats my plan. Thanks for confirming.

Ask a Question