In over my head, building a huge waterfall. Need pointers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good lord that’s a lot of rocks and blocks. Looking incredible, though. Can’t wait to see all the plants grow in. You’ve done great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jamb some Parrot's Feather, Creeping Jenny, etc. in-between the rocks with the roots touching the water. They will spread and give the stream a natural look. If you can find some moss, that looks great too. I just wet it and stick it to the rocks with part of it touching the water. It looks nice and also spreads out. Even old driftwood or logs strewn about looks nice.
All my opinion. Do what you like ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I found that Creeping Jenny will survive our Pennsylvania winters if it's planted in the soil. It has spread like crazy around one side of our pond. It pretty much dies off if it's just in a pot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Our Marsh Marigold is popping up all over the place. They have gotten huge. They are in the pond on a shelf, in the bog and somehow are also growing in the ground near the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick update on things:

Renting a mini-ex second week of July to make the pond bigger. Basically going as large as I can reasonably go. As I tighten things up we get more volume. Basically, I am going to increase the depth to about 4' and make it larger by about 3x.

All that said, I have a question: aeration, do I need it, do I care? If so: what recommendations do you have?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Alright, my friends. The winter was cold and crappy. Turns out the system holds water because every time it rained the entire thing became a collection funnel and it all filled up the pond a bunch of times. Had to pump it out every few weeks.

Anyway. I spent late April and May foaming, finishing (almost), generally cleaning up the stray liner and other things that needed to be cleaned.

Figured I show you the current status. IT WORKS. I was nervous turning it on the first time.

Now to the notes:
1. the bottom two sets of drops are not complete at all. They aren't holding water yet. So disregard.
2. I might need an extra pump to push water only a little up and drop it in mid-way
3. I do have a few. leaks I am working on
4. The pond needs to be MUCH bigger.

I am going to have questions but for the moment I just wanted to share an update.
Your missing a key point to a natural water fall i think youll pick it out in this video

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a great video. One that I have saved. It was actually really an inspiration to me since I worried about making huge wide spillways. In the PNW we have huge falls in some areas, but plenty more are huge rocks and narrow falls. Not that I am successful at it, but it was an inspiration for sure.

I'll be honest @GBBUDD and @Lisak1 I am so dense. I assume from @Lisak1 's "wood" note, that you are talking about Wood/moss...
I am working on that. The stump at the top I pulled from 10 feet away, the log that is overrunning the right side, fell last winter... Going to add more, but haven't finished making sure I am watertight. Am I tracking with you?

The other consideration is my other half wishes we lived in the southwest... So our ideas of ideal plants is different. We are getting there though.

The video doesn't show all the areas that I am still tightening up. I am losing water in a couple of spots or water is staying in the system but not going over a spillway. So that is my focus at the moment + a bigger pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wood/moss
Yess must have mood moss tree stumps and more moss. Yes I understand moss is when your ready to fire up but it looks like you have a lot of sun so any moss will be specific to sun tolerant and or needs lots of water.

Ask a Question