Installing a sump pump for overflows

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
The shallow end of our pond is prone to overflow during multiple days of extremely heavy rain or if I accidently overfill during drought season. To remedy this issue I am going to install a sump pump with a tethered bulb to drain the overflow to our bog pond. It is most convient to place the sump pump is in the corner of the deep end. Question, does the location of the sump pump matter? I'm working with a shoe string budget so extensive pond modification is not possible.

Reaction score
Location doesn't matter, other than depth of course. You may want to fashion a wire cage around the intake to reduce clogging and kept fish out. You would also want to check the electric circuit to make sure the sump would trip it.

Perspective is kind of funny...to me a sump pump is much more expensive than making a gravity overflow, assuming that would be possible.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just have one area of my pond lower, it overflows down the slope and away into the field. Can you do that rather than adding a sump pump? Just make sure the water leaves the pond area so it does not flow behind the liner. Dry gravel bed or something of that sort.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can even design a remote bog or overflow area without extensive modification to the exisitng pond. Dig a hole, make a water feature, bog, etc.. some distance from the pond. Make the highest portion of it level with the exisitng pond. Take a section of garden hose or other flexible tubing and place one end in the big pond, and place the other end in the other water feature. Hide or bury the tube as you wish. It can go over a wall or over rocks, no need to go through the liner. Attach a small pump on the water feature end to draw water through the tube and remove any air. Disconnect the pump. Now, the tubing works as a siphon and should keep both water features at the same level. You are now free to build an overflow on the remote water feature or put your sump pump in that. As water over flows, or is pumped out of the remote water feature, it will draw water from the main pond until both are equal again.

Anytime you remove the tubing from the water, you'll have to reconnect a pump and draw water through it to create the siphon effect again.

Craig

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just have one area of my pond lower, it overflows down the slope and away into the field. Can you do that rather than adding a sump pump? Just make sure the water leaves the pond area so it does not flow behind the liner. Dry gravel bed or something of that sort.

Great idea but the low end is very, very near our retaining wall which is designed by code to leach rainwater into our neighbors below grade property. Overflow water has been a controversy. Our plan is rather involved. I have a separate post about the overall project.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can even design a remote bog or overflow area without extensive modification to the exisitng pond. Dig a hole, make a water feature, bog, etc.. some distance from the pond. Make the highest portion of it level with the exisitng pond. Take a section of garden hose or other flexible tubing and place one end in the big pond, and place the other end in the other water feature. Hide or bury the tube as you wish. It can go over a wall or over rocks, no need to go through the liner. Attach a small pump on the water feature end to draw water through the tube and remove any air. Disconnect the pump. Now, the tubing works as a siphon and should keep both water features at the same level. You are now free to build an overflow on the remote water feature or put your sump pump in that. As water over flows, or is pumped out of the remote water feature, it will draw water from the main pond until both are equal again.

Anytime you remove the tubing from the water, you'll have to reconnect a pump and draw water through it to create the siphon effect again.

Craig

Your idea is great! We are simplifying your process by running the sump pump discharge hose directly to our bog pond that is being modified to contain a french drain.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If gravity is not a option a deep tub just outside the pond with a cover over it with the sump pump inside would be easy maintenance

Ask a Question