Bog Add on to above ground pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a 10x14x4 above ground pond that we have decided to add a bog too. I am wanting to build it 10x3 at one end of the pond. I have lots of questions! How deep should we make bog? Do we have to run the pump through PVC pipe along bottom of bog? I will continue to use two other pumps and filters as well to keep my flow and oxygen levels high. We are wanting to put in "waterfall (s)" in the bog box as well to let it flow back into main pond. I appreciate any help I can get.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
[Pictures help to show what your up against and what you have to work with

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1656173743040.gif
@Koimomma69

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have a 10x14x4 above ground pond that we have decided to add a bog too. I am wanting to build it 10x3 at one end of the pond. I have lots of questions! How deep should we make bog? Do we have to run the pump through PVC pipe along bottom of bog? I will continue to use two other pumps and filters as well to keep my flow and oxygen levels high. We are wanting to put in "waterfall (s)" in the bog box as well to let it flow back into main pond. I appreciate any help I can get.
Hi and welcome! The man concept is you are pumping water from your pond through gravel that has plants with nice roots to help absorb nutrients. There are so many different ways to do it …Generally you want to have a pvc pipe with some slits cut to allow water to stream up into the gravel. You should test out your pvc pipe before covering with gravel. The deeper the gravel the harder it will be to get strong water flow if you want to create a waterfall affect but you don’t need a waterfall as long as you can find a way to keep the gravel from spilling into the pond. Think of it as a wetland that has cleaned water from the bog mixing with the pond water. Bogs can be as short as 12” deep or it can be as deep as your pond. If you do make it deep you need to put graduated rocks with the largest on the bottom and gravel on the top layer. I strongly recommend you install a standpipe so the pvc can be cleaned out of sludge. Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog is deep, I built it years ago very basic, 2.5 feet deep, just pvc with slits, no clean out, no graduated rocks, just pea gravel, it works great. I do not draw water from the bottom of the pond. I also use a external pump.

Since then these great pond minds, have made bogs with snorkels, clean out pipes, aqua blocks etc etc.

Ask a Question