Introducing a new koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant Gloria thats a nice siz tank for the koi to stay in over winter , remember the odd patial water change of about a quater of the tank , what filtration have you put on the tank ?
It would also be a good idea to lower the water by about an inch giving space for gasses to dissipate off .
Make sure the children dont go tapping the tank theres nothing worse than that as it may freak the koi out which wee dont want .
I'd feed as much as he can eat in five mnutes twice daily perhapse when you come into the school in the morning and just before you leave in the late afternoon , you could even involve the kids in its care , I cant think of a better way of learning can you ?
if you get any problems just shout :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the photo again gloria I cant see any evidence of a filter is this an oversite , remember they are prodigious producers of poo so you dont want it swiming in its own toilet , does the school have anything in the way of external cannister filters you can use .
Pretty quickly water quality can nose dive hence the need for a filter , could you also add on an airpump which you'll need to turn the water over .

Dave

Reaction score
I
Looking at the photo again gloria I cant see any evidence of a filter is this an oversite , remember they are prodigious producers of poo so you dont want it swiming in its own toilet , does the school have anything in the way of external cannister filters you can use .
Pretty quickly water quality can nose dive hence the need for a filter , could you also add on an airpump which you'll need to turn the water over .

Dave
I can see the HOB filter near the right center of the tank. The intake extends down towards the bottom. I'm guessing it flows 300 to 350 gph, which is probably enough for one fish, although I would shoot for more flow on a 4' tank with a large fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I

I can see the HOB filter near the right center of the tank. The intake extends down towards the bottom. I'm guessing it flows 300 to 350 gph, which is probably enough for one fish, although I would shoot for more flow on a 4' tank with a large fish.
Now that you pointed it out to me I can see it dp its blended in so well with the background thanx for pointing it out
You know up until I went on amazon I dont think I've ever seen them for sale in any of the fish outlets I've been in in the last 27 years , It may work but personally I'd put an external canniter (free standing) but then again thats what we always used,
That was the ehiem professional III 2080 and the fluvel FX5( two huge externals ) and they gave us totally crystal clear water .

Dave

Reaction score
No problem. HOB filters are very common is the USA. That is what most people use. They are much easier to maintain and frequently flow more water. The problem with an HOB is that they do not hold as much media as a canister filter so they need to be cleaned more frequently and do not have the ability to handle as much waste as a canister filter.

By the way I have 2 Fluval fx5's. Great filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use two 330gph HOB filters on my fifty five gallon tank. With 2 airstones going as well.

Never used a canister filter but if I ever get a larger tank that's what I would go with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes dp I think they are the best thing that happened to filters in a long time , the Eheim Professional III 2080 came close with the removaable prefilter but then we found a design flaw that meant yu couldnt detatch the pipes for cleaning , had to replace the whole head of the filter twice and still they had problems but the FX5 a dream machine through and through and the impeller placement at the bottom of the filter "Pure Genius" never had a thing go wrong with it .

Dave

Ask a Question