Introducing a new koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Go ahead and report me Dave. I am simply asking you... What is the difference in watching the fish in the neighbors pond or in a QT tank? NO DIFFERENCE!
you sleigh me my friend just because someone likes a post doesnt mean your right
Because if you watch it in the neighbours differing system you still have to put it through a QT period for it to go into glorias pond which is a seperate system and thus a differnt world to the neighbours pond come on man please get it to sink in its plain common scence not rocket sience
Now please stop trying to wind me up thank you

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry Dave but we are just going to have to disagree. You will not know if the neighbors fish has something that will affect Glorias fish until you put them together. If the neighbors fish show no symptoms in the pond, they will show no symptoms in QT.

Reaction score
you sleigh me my friend just because someone likes a post doesnt mean your right
Because if you watch it in the neighbours differing system you still have to put it through a QT period for it to go into glorias pond which is a seperate system and thus a differnt world to the neighbours pond come on man please get it to sink in its plain common scence not rocket sience
Now please stop trying to wind me up thank you

Dave
By the way Dave, Meyer is an expert. He won't admit it because he is also very modest. However, he has forgotten more than most people will ever know about ponds. Bet on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
anyway gloria there you have it you can safely QT your fish in the school over winter then in the spring you can transfer it to your pond safe in the knowledge your koi wont come down with anything .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
By the way Dave, Meyer is an expert. He won't admit it because he is also very modest. However, he has forgotten more than most people will ever know about ponds. Bet on it.
Then I welcome him to the site dp perhaps we can learn from him, you see dp you never once stop learning in our hobby my friend.
There are always new ways to do things, new treatments to try and new ideas to take on board.
Even after 27 years of keeping koi we are still learning Meyer will probably agree with this.
Like Meyer my friends think me a very modest person and as an expert Meyer will know that you never break QT protocol, perhaps he would like to come in on this to explain this to you ?
He will also know that each pond is a different ecosystem to the next and as such it would always be wise to QT otherwise your going to end up with a whole heap of issues you didnt bargain on ***

Dave.

*** After I left the site last night Val reminded me of two former members of our section Mike and Jeff who live next door to each other , Mike asked Jeff if he could buy one of his koi beautiful metalic hariwake which is a two or mor coloured metalic koi .
They were neighbours they lived next door to each other and even bought their koi from the same dealerships so Jeff named his price and into Mikes pond went the koi.
Then Mike started having problems in the end he lost four of his koi to Costia which Meyer will agree can and does if left untreated will kill causing heavy losses , costia is a condition that is brought about by stress obviously there was a difference between the two systems hat brought this outbreak about , Mike didnt recognise what was happening to his cost.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I agree, quarantine would be the best idea.
Changing ponds is a totally different environment for the fish and will increase it's stress level.
Increased stress could bring out problems that were not evident before.

Reaction score
Dave are you telling me the Costia was not observeable in eitherof your friends ponds but if the fish would have been put into QT it would have suddenly become observable? sounds like voodoo!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I see dp's point. If you have a fish all by itself in a pond, doing well by all accounts, and you move it to qt, all by itself, what will change? How will any hidden problems show up in that scenario? Not arguing, just wondering.

Mitch's point makes sense though - putting the fish into qt could be stressful and may create the environment for those problems to show themselves. Is that the point? See what happens when you move the fish? But what if the qt is only mildly stressful, but the move to the pond is super stressful?

Disclaimer - I don't qt, so no one should take what I say on the topic as advice. I also don't add new fish, so there's that approach!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
To me, introducing a fish from a different pond is no different than introducing a fish from a LFS. Different environment, different water parameters - no one knows how the fish in quarantine is going to react to that.
Quarantining is a precaution that helps to protect, but not guarantee, the safety of the existing pond's inhabitants.

Reaction score
I agree, quarantine would be the best idea.
Changing ponds is a totally different environment for the fish and will increase it's stress level.
Increased stress could bring out problems that were not evident before.
Ok now see in one short post Mitch was able to give a simple reason, which is all I was asking from Dave. A proper QT shouldnt be too stressful if water quality is maintained but I see the point.
However, this time of year 8 weeks from now my pond will be frozen over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I see dp's point. If you have a fish all by itself in a pond, doing well by all accounts, and you move it to qt, all by itself, what will change? How will any hidden problems show up in that scenario? Not arguing, just wondering.

Mitch's point makes sense though - putting the fish into qt could be stressful and may create the environment for those problems to show themselves. Is that the point? See what happens when you move the fish? But what if the qt is only mildly stressful, but the move to the pond is super stressful?

Disclaimer - I don't qt, so no one should take what I say on the topic as advice. I also don't add new fish, so there's that approach!
Lisa rather than go through the answer all over again just read the above that both Mitch and ourselves have talked about in this thread but you are courting disaster by not QTing your fish please think about starting or all your collection may one day be in trouble through an infection of some sort and I'm sure like Gloria you dont wantto loose any fish,
dp should know better than he does ,

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok now see in one short post Mitch was able to give a simple reason, which is all I was asking from Dave. A proper QT shouldnt be too stressful if water quality is maintained but I see the point.
However, this time of year 8 weeks from now my pond will be frozen over.
true my friend which is why the koi is going into a tank at school for the winter any health issues can be brought to the fore there and treated as to the costia Mike wasnt one for the reading of books and was one of these who didnt believe in QT

DAve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisa rather than go through the answer all over again just read the above that both Mitch and ourselves have talked about in this thread but you are courting disaster by not QTing your fish please think about starting or all your collection may one day be in trouble through an infection of some sort and I'm sure like Gloria you dont wantto loose any fish,
dp should know better than he does ,

Dave

I think you missed the part where I said I avoid quarantining my fish by simply not adding new fish. We bought all of ours at once from a reputable dealer. And we've stuck with those same fish. The only new fish that get into our pond are the ones the fish create on their own.

I really did want to understand the point of quarantining a fish that you are well-acquainted with. Mitch's explanation that the stress of moving the fish from pond to quarantine may be enough to expose any issues that may not be apparent in the pond made sense. Got it. Still not 100% convinced that moving a fish a second time wouldn't add additional stress, but that's just my thought. No real experience to back that up.

Ask a Question