introducing fish in a brand new pond late in the season

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would recommend addy's method instead of the feeder blocks.

The plants will consume fish waste plus provide oxygen and food for the fish.
The feeder blocks will only add decaying organic matter at a time when the nitrifying bacteria are reproducing at their slowest rate because of the low water temperature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gemma......I get tickled at my fish.....since the first time that the water temperature went below 65 degrees....I have not fed them.....that was three weeks ago.....here in Tennessee this time of year the temperature will get up into the seventies during the day and down to the low 40’s at night.....they don’t need anything to eat from you.....even though in the afternoon when the water warms up they will beg.....As MitchM said your nitrifying bacteria in your pond is based on your fish load and how good your filtration system is at the optimum warm water temperature......as the temperature goes down....the bacteria disappear.....so the source of ammonia needs to go down according....that means , don’t have too many fish and no food.....and in a new pond you don’t have that leftover bacteria that is still surviving and helping out.....I would wait until spring for new fish .....that gives you all winter to puruse the internet.....save your money......and buy some really kool fish in the spring......this winter I have 9 beautiful fish....that are fat, healthy....and not a blemish on them.....a far cry from where I was at this time last year with the disaster I had.....Less is better....Jimmy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Jimmy Gibson , it's a bit too late, I already have 5 little fish in the new pond!
I thought I'd have more time before the temps drop but I didn't, it is what it is all I can do now is hope for the best
...I'm not feeding the fish anything, they've been pecking at the film on the liner, they showed no interest in the vacation food so I removed it.whether they make it to Spring or not .only time will tell

Ask a Question