Introducing Myself

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I’m John. I live in north Georgia, USA. I have a 1,000 gallon, 4-5 feet deep pond underneath a large waterfall. The pond has a pump and a skimmer at the pond level, plus a bio filter at the top of the waterfall. I have also installed a secondary pump in the bottom of the pond that has a UV lamp to help ensure no green water. Two air stones help the falls, and many water plants keep the water aerated. I keep Comet Goldfish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows and Rosy Red Minnows in the pond year round and they thrive in even freezing temperatures. They have all produced fry many of which have also survived the winter. This summer, I introduced to the pond six guppies (2 males and 4 females), four albino and two peppered corys, all of which seem very happy. I’ll move the guppies and Cory ‘s inside for the winter. The guppies will be easy to catch, but the cats don’t come up much, except during occasional feeding times when they sometimes come up to a shallow stone shelf to see what is causing all the commotion. Has anyone over wintered Cory’s in a cold pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
BC298346-EC6D-4F9D-AABF-39A826092F3B.jpeg
This is my little work in progress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This forum should help when I have issues. So much experience out there.

Well the goal here is to not HAVE any issues... so keep reading! Not doing the wrong thing is far better than trying to come back from it once it's done, right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome John! Ginger Falls and the pond are beautiful. Tough to answer your question about the Corydoras (and many tropical fishes) because so much on the net is simply copied from one author to another. Even some books do it. When in reality, they don't know. I don't know. But here is what I suggest: Do your homework by researching the species you have and look it up on reliable, scientific sites. For example, actual university or field research. I had personal examples of 'trudging' in Central America and South America where I found aquatic plants and fishes in surprising locations. Not all 'tropical' fishes come from 72-80 degree waters. Here is something to get you started: https://corydoras.zone/wp-content/u...mmunities-Genetic-lineages-are-denoted-by.png

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Love that waterfall and the pond! Great job!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Stephen Noble Excellent advice, and it goes for not only all aspects of fish/pond keeping, but most things in life! Social media seems to have made everyone an expert. In fact, often, if I have a question and do a Google search, I will include the keyword “veterinary” or “medical” in my search — it really does weed out a lot of unsubstantiated “advice.”

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630087066175.gif
@JohnB
Love your pond, waterfall and fish! Nice crop of Anacharis growing in there also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Welcome! I'm glad to hear your rosy red minnows do well year round! I am going to have a "wildlife pond" in my backyard - also in the northern half of GA - and I hope to add some rosy reds! Your pond is great and I love that you've named it!

Ask a Question