Is anyone able to i.d. this koi?

Reaction score
I was at a local garden center and o ran across this guy, I need to find one for myself. The help at the store had no idea about what he is, or where he came from. I just need to know what I should ne searching for. Thank you in advance.

Its the gray/ red butterfly.

Reaction score
OOPS! Forgot to hit the upload button :razz:

Attachments

• 2011-08-23_14-19-15_950.jpg
    2011-08-23_14-19-15_950.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 2011-08-23_14-21-12_414.jpg
    2011-08-23_14-21-12_414.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 2011-08-23_14-21-25_806.jpg
    2011-08-23_14-21-25_806.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 343

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a pretty fish. Can see why you like it. opps forgot we were not supposed to answer unless we could answer the ? lol.........and can't delete this ............darn

but it is still pretty

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's a asagi, when looking at smaller ones you'll want to find one with very distinct dark scale pattern. the darker the scale pattern the better the velvet look will apprear, Try finding one with minimal red on it as that will take away from that velvet effect if that's what you really like about the fish. My self I prefer the more red and less grey which would be called a Hi Asagi.

Reaction score
So would I be looking for an Asagi butterfly, or does that change the name up? I need to learn more about koi types.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good write up on the koi differences? Website or book would be fine.

And last thing, I live in Ohio. Does anyone have any good places to get quality koi from that would be semi close to me? Im not looking for any show winners as long as they are healthy.

Thank You!

Reaction score
A butterfly Koi has the very long, flowing fins. The pictures you posted of the fish you like are definately of a butterfly Koi. Good luck on your search! Take the pictures with you when you go shopping, hopefully someone can help you find one!
Just a personal note: I have not had luck adding Koi late in the season to my pond. I have read that they need a good amount of time to settle in before the winter freeze.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
yes, you would be looking for a long finned or butterfly (Same thing some dealers just call them long fin Koo) I use next day Koo on Eba, yes the shipping is a little steep but if your buying three or four it breaks down to a reasonable amount per fish. Plus you have the option to view several before making your discussion before you purchase one. In a store your going to be lucky to find one much less a option to buy one that is what your looking for. And as noted above, it's getting kind of late in the season, If your going to get a young fish right now I would plan on keeping it in a indoor tank and let it settle until next spring. You really want to wait and watch the fish for at least three to four weeks before putting it in with the rest of your stock in case it has a parasite or disease. You do not want to add to your pond if the temp is close to or under 50 degrees.

Ask a Question