Is it stupid to start construction in the rainy season (fall)?

Reaction score
So this summer got away from me, and I wasn't able to get my shit together until now. So I am lining up some resources to dig/line/build my duck pond. I'd love to have the pond ASAP, but I worry that with all the rain, and the timing to get liner/pump/stone assembled might leave a giant muddy hole in my yard.

I'm not worried about the mess, but more the downstream effects it might have on my pond. Will the walls of the pond be compromised by building it in the wet? Is this just too much trouble to attempt?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you can get your liner in and manage runoff around the pond, you'll probably be fine. How deep of an excavation are we talking? Heavy equipment involved?

I am finishing up my pond right now as the rainy season sets in here in the PNW, and I am not having as much fun as I was a few weeks ago. Mud everywhere.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
So this summer got away from me, and I wasn't able to get my shit together until now. So I am lining up some resources to dig/line/build my duck pond. I'd love to have the pond ASAP, but I worry that with all the rain, and the timing to get liner/pump/stone assembled might leave a giant muddy hole in my yard.

I'm not worried about the mess, but more the downstream effects it might have on my pond. Will the walls of the pond be compromised by building it in the wet? Is this just too much trouble to attempt?
All depend on the size of the pond. Mine, small one, done in 4 hours the digging

Reaction score
Country
United States

It depends. You didn't include much info about the project. What part of the world do you live in? How much rain are we talking about? Are you using large equipment or a shovel? Will your pond walls be retained by solid walls or just a liner? What, if any, slope will they have?

I live in the Pacific Northwest and did my hand digging both in the rainy season and in the summer on random days as time allowed. I was digging a hole that's 4-1/2 feet deep and about 18 feet long. It was a long, tiring project. Digging through the thick clay was easier when the ground was wet, but I was a clay covered, muddy mess each wet day and the wet shovel loads were much heavier than dry ones. In the summer, I had to break up the concrete-ish clay with a chipping hammer before I could dig and hide from the sun in the hot part of the day. Both had advantages and disadvantages. I did have some wall erosion because of the rainy weather, but it didn't happen overnight. In my case this was not a problem because I installed a stone wall that will hold back the clay wall and I back-filled the gap with good drainage material.

Winter work can be a mess, but It can be done if you are willing to work through the winter related issues. In my opinion, if I can catch a cool fall day without much wind and rain, there is no other time I would rather work outside. Just leave enough time at the end of the day to watch the leaves fall as you admire your progress with a cold IPA or a glass of wine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my opinion, if I can catch a cool fall day without much wind and rain, there is no other time I would rather work outside.

Agreed. Fall colors all around. Sun is out but it's not hot. Couldn't be a better time to work outdoors. What part of the PNW are you in. I'm in the Portland area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe.

@DavidWH—want to drink IPAs around a pond? We can let @brokensword video conference in for $50 and split the proceeds.
all that research and changes starting to put a hurt on your budget, CW? Skimming off the Boss' skims will getcha in a world of trouble! @addy1 gonna bring the hammer, methinks!

And, $50? You trying to get me to fund the 'Rebuild Portland Fund' all on my own?

Let's Go Branden!

:cool:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Humm sounds like they are going to charge you and you alone for the video conference...................I am out of it lol
Skimming off the Boss' skims will getcha in a world of trouble! @addy1 gonna bring the hammer, methinks!

And, $50? You trying to get me to fund the 'Rebuild Portland Fund' all on my own?

Reaction score
Haha! This thread has taken an interesting turn...

I'm in the Salem OR area, so I'll join the PDX subchapter if you'll have me!

As for pond specifics:
- near circular pond (14' diameter) with about 40% of the surface of the circle being bog.
- 3' deep at the deepest, with the bog being closer to 2'
- I'd like a shelf for plants along the edge, and also a section where the slope is minimal to allow my ducks in and out with ease.
- not rocking or hardware securing the walls, it will just be underlayment and liner.
- soil is mostly clay
- heavy equipment will be used to increase the speed of the pond creation (I know a guy). I'm hoping the whole hole can be dug in a day, so then I am only worried about leaving it linerless for as long as it takes to size, order, and receive the liner (recommendations in the OR area welcome!).

But digging is only the first step. I'll need to build/separate the bog portion, then lay the underliner, then the liner, then put the bog plumbing in, then fill the bog with pea gravel, then get the pump, fix up the plumbing, then get the pump in and working, fill with water, then work on the edging and finishes of the liner.

Sound reasonable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haha! This thread has taken an interesting turn...

I'm in the Salem OR area, so I'll join the PDX subchapter if you'll have me!

As for pond specifics:
- near circular pond (14' diameter) with about 40% of the surface of the circle being bog.
- 3' deep at the deepest, with the bog being closer to 2'
- I'd like a shelf for plants along the edge, and also a section where the slope is minimal to allow my ducks in and out with ease.
- not rocking or hardware securing the walls, it will just be underlayment and liner.
- soil is mostly clay
- heavy equipment will be used to increase the speed of the pond creation (I know a guy). I'm hoping the whole hole can be dug in a day, so then I am only worried about leaving it linerless for as long as it takes to size, order, and receive the liner (recommendations in the OR area welcome!).

But digging is only the first step. I'll need to build/separate the bog portion, then lay the underliner, then the liner, then put the bog plumbing in, then fill the bog with pea gravel, then get the pump, fix up the plumbing, then get the pump in and working, fill with water, then work on the edging and finishes of the liner.

Sound reasonable?
should be able to do it in a couple of days. Unless you're CW and have to research every damn new idea you run across...And NO! I'm not gonna set up another betting pool for when YOU finish; CW's pond completion pool should tide me over for a few years after I win it...

:cool:

Ask a Question