Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The filters I use in my indoor terrariums and my large tropical aquarium are made by a company called Fluval. Not only are these the most expensive but for good reason because they are the most effective and most durable with standard features that most top end lines of other brands don't even offer. Now for the stupid part, all of the models in the 02, 03, 04, 05 & 06 class take either one, two or four elements such as bio cells, charcoal bags and pre-filter media but the replacements are only sold in sets of three... Maybe I am just too demanding but that is very wasteful and suspiciously "money making" and seeing that the model I use costs 189 bucks each and I have 7 of them well you can see why I am unhappy about the practice.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
This reminds me of the issue I face every single time I want hotdogs. It's a travesty.
Even though I don't eat hotdogs, I couldn't agree more! Marshall's problem, however, is MUCH easier to solve. Seven (7) filters each using four (4) media equals (=) twenty-eight (28) modules. If he (Marshall) purchases (buys) ten (10) bags, he will then have thirty (30) modules, which will allow him to replace the entire bunch, and still have two (2) spares in case he misplaces one (1) or two (2)! PROBLEM SOLVED!!! (y)
John the Problem Solver (All ya gotta do is ask!)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Even though I don't eat hotdogs, I couldn't agree more! Marshall's problem, however, is MUCH easier to solve. Seven (7) filters each using four (4) media equals (=) twenty-eight (28) modules. If he (Marshall) purchases (buys) ten (10) bags, he will then have thirty (30) modules, which will allow him to replace the entire bunch, and still have two (2) spares in case he misplaces one (1) or two (2)! PROBLEM SOLVED!!! (y)
John the Problem Solver (All ya gotta do is ask!)
And if I need to replace the media in one filter or perhaps someone only has one then the problem remains.
PS: at roughly 20 - 40 dollars per set buying 10 is not an easy affordable option...

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
And if I need to replace the media in one filter or perhaps someone only has one then the problem remains.
PS: at roughly 20 - 40 dollars per set buying 10 is not an easy affordable option...
Picky, picky! :rolleyes:
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sounds like someone needs to go in business selling replacement parts that come in 4 packs. So they aren't genuine? That's no big deal nowadays. I just bought a replacement motor for our in house vac that was not from the manufacturer and it works perfectly and was much cheaper. It looks exactly the same so my guess is the vacuum maker and non genuine part distributor are buying them from the same place!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sounds like someone needs to go in business selling replacement parts that come in 4 packs. So they aren't genuine? That's no big deal nowadays. I just bought a replacement motor for our in house vac that was not from the manufacturer and it works perfectly and was much cheaper. It looks exactly the same so my guess is the vacuum maker and non genuine part distributor are buying them from the same place!
It would be possible as some of the minor parts are available like that already but Fluval does a good job of making things so unique that you would unknowingly violate god knows how many patents in that pursuit. BUT if you build em I will buy them and as far as I know I never heard of Comet Keiths Aquarium Supply Superstore ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Make your own replacement ;) For bio cells, I think you can use anything in there, no? I remembered Dave suggested hair rolls.
charcoal bags, buy re-usable bag or make one with string tie and buy charcoal in balk, you might even get a better quality ;)
and pre-filter media - buy quilt batting / or that course blue filter pad (I forgot what it called) then cut to size! ;)

Or did I misunderstood the whole thing?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Make your own replacement ;) For bio cells, I think you can use anything in there, no? I remembered Dave suggested hair rolls.
charcoal bags, buy re-usable bag or make one with string tie and buy charcoal in balk, you might even get a better quality ;)
and pre-filter media - buy quilt batting / or that course blue filter pad (I forgot what it called) then cut to size! ;)

Or did I misunderstood the whole thing?
the guts are not the issue it is the plastic modules that hold the stuff that I am at the point of replacing.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
This reminds me of the issue I face every single time I want hotdogs. It's a travesty.
That's why I go to the butcher and just get what I need ;) theres one in my hometown ran by a Russian Jewish guy that is always telling me about communism but hey his prices are unbeatable
PS: Oh and the soviets are the devil :p forgot to mention that as he seems to never forget to remind me

Ask a Question