Is it stupid to start construction in the rainy season (fall)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know what a Jurassic pond is, but I am very eager to find out.
he's got themed other ponds and this one will be right out of the Jurassic period, I believe!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I missed my window of opportunity. Had the hole dug in the early summer but was also to busy all summer to get the liner in. Managed to get the bog liner installed the end of Sept but then it started to rain. Now the pond is full so I am stuck looking at an empty hole again next summer by the time the pond dries up, install liner and then get enough rain to fill it. I was really looking forward to getting my Jurassic pond finished for the summer of 2022.

View attachment 143655
you could always pump the water out before a nice dry spell either this season or next, and get a head start on completion!
smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL, dry spell. We are on Vancouver island on the wet coast of Canada. After Nov there is no "dry spell". ;>) The pond side is about 100,000 gallons, a lot of pumping. I have a thread here. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/reinventing-my-pond.26928/page-4#post-464385
Weellllllllllllll, you'll just have to pump it out and work FAST, is all!!!

You could also lay in your liner over top the water you have now, stick your pump beneath it in a way you can get it back out (such as dig a trench lower on one side so all the remaining current water heads toward this point, where your pump will be) and as the water is removed, the liner settles in. And, any additional rain will then fill your liner helping to push the water below out if you're still pumping. I'd try to be relatively exact so as the liner is settling in, you won't have to move it much after the water is out from below.

You could also use a tube/pipe connected to your pump and put that toward the center of your hole under the liner and even if you lose the tubing/pipe, not a problem as the liner can cover and the tubing/pipe won't tear/rip the liner.

Just an idea!!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Weellllllllllllll, you'll just have to pump it out and work FAST, is all!!!

You could also lay in your liner over top the water you have now, stick your pump beneath it in a way you can get it back out

Just an idea!!

View attachment 143668
To be honest I'm not a fan of working in the rain and cold. With all the shale at the bottom of the pond I need to be sure I have a good layer of sand and underlay to protect the $5K liner. :( I have lots of other projects on the go so this one will just have to wait. I can get the bog built on drier days. I had thought about getting all the piping ready for the bog and not adding the rock untill the pond was lined in the spring and then pump the 20,000 gallons of bog water into the new pond as a start.

Ask a Question