is it too soon

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
pond temp low 50s but fish are all active and have been feeding a little for a couple of weeks ...has been much colder here in the uk compared to this time last year ...have noticed younger fish chasing after one of my old females all day she does look a little fat ... are they getting ready to spawn do you think ?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
stroppy said:
pond temp low 50s but fish are all active and have been feeding a little for a couple of weeks ...has been much colder here in the uk compared to this time last year ...have noticed younger fish chasing after one of my old females all day she does look a little fat ... are they getting ready to spawn do you think ?

When the water gets close to 70 degrees F and they have some floating material to spawn on, they will lay the eggs if they are ready. Sometimes thy get so large, you might think they are going to burst. May 1st and June 1st are the magic days for mine.

Reaction score
Mine are showing signs already too, even though the water is only in the mid 50s. I've got two females that are VERY round, and quite a few males with very visible breeding stars. Not much chasing yet though.

Reaction score
Hello
Could someone tell me what is best to put into ur pond for them to spawn on & where you can buy it I have a large pond 12 x 17 & its 2.5 ft deep on shallow end & 4 ft on deep end I am new to this & have never had them to Spawn I have some fish 3 yrs old & did not know if this is too young for them to Spawn
Tks Coolwind In alabama

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Floating plants, spawning mops, string algae. I use all 3. Mine have spawned several times this month already.

Reaction score
This is all new to me. I am not sure what to look for. But, I really don't need any babies right now. I think I have too many already.

Reaction score
just let things be and don't worry about babies. Nature will take it's course and the other fish will just eat the eggs/fry if they are not protected.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
it has Began..... started yesterday evening its now three in the afternoon and they are still chasing one female about seven of them !!! is this going on a bit long ? i thought they spawned in the early morning ? i feel so sorry for her , she looks so tired !!! .spawning mops are in

Ask a Question