addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol fishin I have a masters, the job I got into required no schooling, at the time, but having the degree did help in the other parts of my job that occurred down the road.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze just graduated high school and even then I was working beside my father from the age of 8 and then at 16 got a job at the chanel perfume factory at night ,funny they never checked my age just hired me .To this day I hate the smell of Chanel perfume .Then went onto Ford at 18

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The only thing I didn't like about working for that Company, I was training students that were just coming out of school making 3 times the $$ I was and I hadn't been to college other than 1 semester of Vo-tech. I was even sent to Duluth MN. to set up a enviromental lab and research facility and had to interview some of the first applicants until I could find someone to replace myself so I could return home to the south. Worked ther for off and on over a year on Zebra Mussel research. and the effects of them on native lake species of plants, and fish populations. Also they were working on a way to control them with special paint so they would block the locks and damns.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I see a lot of that where I work. They bring in guys that really know their stuff to train the new college grads that are hired above their pay grade. Within a few years, they are managers of Engineers with 30 years experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fishin, One of the schools our daughter is going to visit this summer is University of Maryland, another is Virgina Tech. She is making an east coast trip with my wife to visit one of our other daughters that works in DC. We have been discussing environmental engineering as a possible choice, but she really wants to be an architect so we will see. Thank you for the advice and I agree with what you are suggesting. It's difficult paying so much for your children's education and all the hard work that they put in and then there are no jobs to be had when they graduate. For the time and effort that she will put into school to be an architect she can just as easily become an engineer or another professional. Maybe we need to show her that fish with the $ sign!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
She needs to see what is available for what she wants to do.
I know what your going through, my step-daughter is going to med. school. She was originally going to study Marine Biology. She was at SLU and the first semester she got a job working at the hospital. She had worked in a volunteer for her senior year in a nursing home and it just kind of fell into what she found she wanted to do. We kept trying to show her to look into something she enjoyed but find a field she could make money too. She's doing good, all her scholarship was transferable to the school she is going to now, Full time school, full time job. we are pretty darn proud of her. Think she has made a smart choice, plus she's closer to home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's great about your step daughter. It's similar with our daughter's best friend. She wanted to study marine biology and her parents said she isn't going to a fancy private school to swim with dolphins. They want her to at least become a vet. I know a lot of us have been hit hard by the recession and hopefully our kids will make some good choices and do well.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, I did the summer school camp at the dolphin research center in Ga. My Jr. year in high school. My parents wanted me to do something of intrest and not hang out with the BAD kids, (One ended up becoming a Dr. the other a VERY sucsessful cabin renter and white water rafting guide in N.C.) LOL, I think I still ended up being the bad kid they didn't want me to be, but I'm glad they did! It was a very cool experience and my Mom and Dad supported my love for fish. My Mom wanted me to become a marine biologist! funny how it all worked out! I ended up working in the Gulf of mexico Blowing up Oil wells!

Ask a Question