Is this an acceptable location for a pondless waterfall feature?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea the elevation is definitely too high in my sketch. I was thinking of simply placing a large boulder in the corner and have that serve as the highpoint.

So are the rocks I show in the picture good enough?

How do I avoid a second pump? Should I dig deep enough, and put ecoblocks under everything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
If your worried about sump drying up then put a Auto top off in the sump if you have a near by water supply. Tap into that. If not you can tap into a sprinkler zone. Just watch that zone a couple weeks or hotter months because if the ATO is running the head pressure on you sprinkler may not be enough to give you the right coverage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You need to solve this before anyone go ahead with building pondless waterfall including me!;):LOL:

water flow.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess I’m confused why you think you need the second pump. A pondless is a simple circulating water feature - pump in the reservoir pumps water to the top where it flows back down to the reservoir. The reservoir itself is filled with the blocks and topped with stone to conceal the blocks.

And technically any rocks are “good enough” - it’s more of an aesthetic concern. What type of rock are you showing us? Are they soft or porous? Sharp rocks aren’t a great choice either. Personally I wouldn’t use those rocks, but it’s not my yard!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I’m confused why you think you need the second pump. A pondless is a simple circulating water feature - pump in the reservoir pumps water to the top where it flows back down to the reservoir. The reservoir itself is filled with the blocks and topped with stone to conceal the blocks.

And technically any rocks are “good enough” - it’s more of an aesthetic concern. What type of rock are you showing us? Are they soft or porous? Sharp rocks aren’t a great choice either. Personally I wouldn’t use those rocks, but it’s not my yard!

The idea was to have the waterfall split in two. One direction would descend down to the lowest point to the left, where the pump is located. The second direction would flow to the right. However, how can I have the water go towards the right, when the pump is to the left? (I hope this makes sense)

I don't know very much about rocks to be honest. I dug those up while planting trees in my yard. I've seen them called "Baja Cresta" rocks (at least they look identical). I don't know how soft or porous they are.

When you say you wouldn't use those rocks, for what reason? The color? Size? Shape?

I really appreciate your input. I need all the advice I can get!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you want to split the flow, that's fine. I would just suggest a design that all ends up in one reservoir. So split them off then bring them back to the same place, if that makes sense.

And yes - color and shape would be the main reasons. They're a bit blocky for my taste - I'm more of a granite boulder type girl... haha! But you could definitely use them and make them look very natural, especially since they literally ARE natural! Every now and then I think about what someone will think in the distant future when they find my odd assortment of rocks - like how did all of these even GET here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You have to make the slope such, it should flow back into storage, too steep you may not get the water to flow on surface:p, too gentle will make the water overflow and flood neighbors house:facepalm::ROFLMAO:.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would use the rocks you dug up! I saved a ton of rocks I dug up, then found out it was all shale, turned to mush after a year of sitting out.
Almost all of our rocks are "imported" lol. I bought pallets of rocks. Hauled truck loads, searched a farmers field for rocks. Did road side pick up of rocks lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would use the rocks you dug up! I saved a ton of rocks I dug up, then found out it was all shale, turned to mush after a year of sitting out.
Almost all of our rocks are "imported" lol. I bought pallets of rocks. Hauled truck loads, searched a farmers field for rocks. Did road side pick up of rocks lol.

Do you have any info on the type of rock I have here? I doubt these are anything like shale, they seem like they aren't going anywhere!

Are these rocks too large perhaps? Given that I don't want too much elevation, some flat rocks would be better than these cubic ones.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to split the flow, that's fine. I would just suggest a design that all ends up in one reservoir. So split them off then bring them back to the same place, if that makes sense.

And yes - color and shape would be the main reasons. They're a bit blocky for my taste - I'm more of a granite boulder type girl... haha! But you could definitely use them and make them look very natural, especially since they literally ARE natural! Every now and then I think about what someone will think in the distant future when they find my odd assortment of rocks - like how did all of these even GET here!

If you were playing the role of benevolent god, what rock would you use for my pond construction? Or what color and size of rock? Granite?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have any info on the type of rock I have here? I doubt these are anything like shale, they seem like they aren't going anywhere!

Are these rocks too large perhaps? Given that I don't want too much elevation, some flat rocks would be better than these cubic ones.
Take a close up of some of the rocks. And what area of the country are you in?

No rock is too large, to make them look like they have been there forever, bury about 1/2 to 2/3 of the rock, don't just place on the ground. I love large rocks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You do a split on your hose and put 1 hose to the left and another hose to the right .I use sump pump hose but you can use a an X connector .to regular pipe and split off that .All you have to do is explain what you want to do at the hardware store and they will show you the parts you need ,
sump pump hose connected in pond 006.JPG

Ask a Question