Is this muck?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm beginning to get our pond ready for spring and was wondering if you could recommend something that can help with this buildup on the bottom of our pond liner. I'm not real sure what it is, but when I disturb it, or try to scoop it out it completely muds up the water for a day or 2. I did clean a lot of leaves out of the bottom, and still have a few more to get out. But I need help with the gunk on the bottom. I e-mailed the Pond Guy and they recommended an aerator and muck tablets. Will the muck tablets dissolve the gunk on the bottom? How does that work?
20200408_150418.jpg

I live in Pennsylvania and my pond is maybe appx 2000 gallons, and 1 koi and 8 goldfish
20200408_150423.jpg
. We use the Pond Guy All Clear G2 pressurized filtration system with the Solid flow G2 2000 pump. The water itself is clear when not disturbed.
Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your water is nice and clear! I know biofilm is good, but it looks like you have a lot of buildup on the bottom. As you stated, when netting the leaves out you're disturbing the muck and after a couple days your filter clears things up. Sometimes I'll intentionally stir mine up and let the filter take care of it.
Some people have pond vacuums, but they are expensive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
can you create a siphon? suck the muck out ? Pull the fish Iut and stir things up as best you can drain the pond leaving some bio load behind. there's no string algae so I'd take it slow. a full cleaning starts the clock over you want to avoid that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd just keep stirring it up and let your filter deal with it. It will eventually break down and it's not really hurting anything so you could just leave it alone, too. Lots of microscopic life living in that muck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seconded for just creating a siphon just use a length of old hose or some clear tubing from a hard ware store - cheap but effective option :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Things like “muck tablets” will only add to the problem.
Just wondering what you base your opinion on...it seems as though since I started the muck away and aeration(also recommended by The Pond Guy) my water is cloudier than ever...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
that pond is great and do not mess with it except for getting the leaves out of course .You look like you have a well balanced pond .Air is your friend in a pond and so is water movement

Ask a Question