It's been a while but I'm finally thinking of a new build..... please help!!

Reaction score
Me too!! LOL! I am leaving an option open for an additional filter like this one:
View attachment 129177
But I want to see how the bog does first without it. And I’m only intending 3 koi to start, if it proves to do well then I’ll bump that up to 5.

My last pond was in full sun from sunrise to sunset, only maybe 200 gallons more than this will be, and I was able to stock and keep perfect water with about 18 - 7”-18” koi and one weird 10” black goldfish.

But, I really don’t want that many this time, just 3-5 large pretty butterfly koi.

Hi! I did a considerable amount of research before getting a biofilter (see my thread if you wish) and ended up going with Laguna for a number of reasons. First is the model you shared above apparently comes from a multitude of companies that continually rebrand when their reviews on the product go south. Generally in terms of leaking. In addition, replacement parts are seemingly non-existent.

So far my laguna has been operating amazing!

For convenience - I went with this one: https://amzn.to/3dqh241

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi! I did a considerable amount of research before getting a biofilter (see my thread if you wish) and ended up going with Laguna for a number of reasons. First is the model you shared above apparently comes from a multitude of companies that continually rebrand when their reviews on the product go south. Generally in terms of leaking. In addition, replacement parts are seemingly non-existent.

So far my laguna has been operating amazing!

For convenience - I went with this one: https://amzn.to/3dqh241
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So I know it doesn’t look like much of a change at all but now the main pond is stained and sealed ( I found an Olympic product designed for new wet wood!!) the rebar is installed and it’s all sturdy now. Going to finish with putting the underlayment on the floor of the pond, so when I get home from work tomorrow I can install the foam insulation and the liner!! WooHoo!!
0734C019-88F8-4CBB-96EC-C007A4B83658.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Speaking as a builder for MANY YEARS now stain for wet wood says to me if we put this on our can we will sell more. Hope it works . The build is coming along nicely

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Speaking as a builder for MANY YEARS now stain for wet wood says to me if we put this on our can we will sell more. Hope it works . The build is coming along nicely
Thanks!! Can’t wait to get home from work and get the liner and water in tonight!
I definitely don’t think it’ll last the 6 years they claim.... but, even if I have to reapply more frequently, I’m ok with that.... I was just concerned with how much wood can change as it dries out and how that would effect the overall look and fit of the liner, etc... I did give it a little test (after the specified dry time on the can) and sprayed it with the hose and it definitely appears to be repelling water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!

Today started with a trip to Home Depot. How does that always waste so much time!!

Anyway.... here’s progress
3458C56D-8549-45FA-A669-71862FB6749F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow that looks really nice! I especially like the way you framed out the top of the pond that really gives it a nice finished look.

Ask a Question