It's been a while but I'm finally thinking of a new build..... please help!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok.....Some more questions....

I really didn’t have to worry about leveling with my last pond and it’s design. But with this one I will. My yard is flat, and I will be digging by hand. What’s the best/easiest way to go about leveling it?

I was thinking about painting the timber on all of the outside surfaces... a solid base color, taping off in a grid and then spray painting with stone spray paint, giving it a faux brick like finish... I will the leave the top boards/wall caps that are above the liner unpainted, but sealed, perhaps with Thompson’s or something like that. The outside timbers for my bog I would like to do the same. My question though is for the front of the bog, that is overhanging the pond and has the spillway.... can I paint that as well or will the water runoff potentially cause the paint to leach toxins into my water? With my old pond all the stone on the front of my spillway was always wet. If I can paint it great! But if I can’t paint it, should I use the Thompson’s seal to seal and protect the wood? What about chemicals from that? How do I protect the wood that will be most exposed to the water? Here’s a little photoshopping to show what I’m thinking as far as painting.....

F70445A1-A6D5-4101-9C1F-5A62BA0742A5.jpeg

What about underwater lighting? Any suggestions of some inexpensive options? I had purchased the typical underwater spotlights for my old pond but never really liked the way they looked like underwater flashlight beams. I want something that gives a nice overall underwater glow. Like this:

A0EEB185-B4FD-43FA-BC12-E1F55F2733A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ok.....Some more questions....

I really didn’t have to worry about leveling with my last pond and it’s design. But with this one I will. My yard is flat, and I will be digging by hand. What’s the best/easiest way to go about leveling it?

I was thinking about painting the timber on all of the outside surfaces...YOU NEED TO WAIT AT LEAST 6 MONTHS PRESSURE TREATED NEEDS TO FULLY DRY BEFORE YOU PAINT OR STAIN a solid base color, taping off in a grid and then spray painting with stone spray paint, giving it a faux brick like finish... I will the leave the top boards/wall caps that are above the liner unpainted, but sealed, perhaps with Thompson’s or something like that. The outside timbers for my bog I would like to do the same. My question though is for the front of the bog, that is overhanging the pond and has the spillway.... can I paint that as well or will the water runoff potentially cause the paint to leach toxins into my water? USE A CLEAR WATERPROOFER OVER YOUR DESIGN OR MAYBE EVEN INSTALL A SPLASH GUARD WITH PLEXI GLASS With my old pond all the stone on the front of my spillway was always wet. If I can paint it great! But if I can’t paint it, should I use the Thompson’s seal to seal and protect the wood? What about chemicals from that? How do I protect the wood that will be most exposed to the water? Here’s a little photoshopping to show what I’m thinking as far as painting.....

What about underwater lighting? Any suggestions of some inexpensive options? NOPE I SPENT A FORTUNE I had purchased the typical underwater spotlights for my old pond but never really liked the way they looked like underwater flashlight beams. I want something that gives a nice overall underwater glow. Like this:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would I have to wait 6 months to apply a product like this?

View attachment 128934

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would I have to wait 6 months to apply a product like this?

View attachment 128934
It would depend. If your supplier is like mine the wood is stored inside and is already dry. I stained mine a couple days after I cut it to fit and then installed. Going on three years and all good never peeled. If the wood is wet when you pick it up then yes you will have to wait until dry. FYI Thompson's is terrible not much better than water and Behr's is almost as bad. Olympic is the best I have found.

Attachments

• stain.jpg
    stain.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 190
  • koi.jpg
    koi.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 188
  • pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I suggested that you wait jhn also said the same . PRESSURE TREATED LUMBER IS WOOD THAT IS PLACED IN A LARGE DRUM IT IS CLOSED LIKE A PRESSURE COOKER AND THEY INCREASE THE PRESSURE . thus injecting the chemicals into the wood. The wood then needs time to dry properly . Do as you would like you may get lucky and have no problems but if you want a good job where the sealer has a chance to soak in to dry wood and it does it's job the wait the 6 months it will go by fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So as ya’all know I’m still in these planning stages but I thought I would share the plans I’ve drawn up so far..... I used an app to help draw out my landscaping to scale the best that I could. Wood koi pond isn’t a standard option so I had to be a little creative. The hand drawn plans are to very roughly map out my plants, and the patio one was so I can determine where/how I want to hang string lighting across the patio. Tell me what you all think and any suggestions you may have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The big black square is actually my air conditioner. The bench beside the pond, is a DIY with cinder blocks and 4x4 posts. The little cluster the light strings are attached to are also going to be a DIY similar to this:
B0DE8261-179D-4429-AF9E-E32360B82E22.jpeg

The fire pit on the patio will be a propane pit and the one out in my yard will be wood burning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to give you an A+ For planning this out my only question is will the bog be big enough.?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
And finally these are the backyard before pictures.

3 years ago I cleaned it up, and tried to to do a stock tank pond which failed. Never intended to be here long enough to do a full garden, so I didn’t want to invest at the time in amending the clay soil or really planting anything. I have since completely neglected it entirely. So everything is over grown and in terrible shape.
The whole project is a complete overhaul, I will be tilling and bringing in peat moss and quality dirt, building the pond and buying new furniture, cleaning and repainting my little bistro set. Tearing down and getting rid of everything to do with that stock tank. My BF is a tree guy so he is going to trim up the low hanging branches on the trees. There was a burn pit in my yard but it’s over grown now too, so if I don’t run out of money before I get that, I’ll do it too, otherwise that part might be next years project. That’s where I am standing in the last picture.
1466583F-8B8D-42AE-8133-7D04B439C40E.jpeg

552BD4B0-AB55-4F0C-B0BE-8E8333410C41.jpeg

A87B927F-129F-46C5-BD98-90F14AFA044C.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to give you an A+ For planning this out my only question is will the bog be big enough.?
The bog is 1/3 the surface area of the pond. The pond will be 8x6, the bog is 8x2. Haven’t decided yet if I’m going to do 12 or 18” deep yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The bog is 1/3 the surface area of the pond. The pond will be 8x6, the bog is 8x2. Haven’t decided yet if I’m going to do 12 or 18” deep yet.
And also this area is part sun/shade.... it’s on the east side of my house and between the two fences and the two trees there isn’t much direct sunlight. There’s gonna be a lot of Hostas! LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a absolute firm believer in over filtering.

Ask a Question