It's been a while but I'm finally thinking of a new build..... please help!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am a absolute firm believer in over filtering.
Me too!! LOL! I am leaving an option open for an additional filter like this one:
5413F7DB-7395-46F3-B77A-C59D059FCA3E.jpeg

But I want to see how the bog does first without it. And I’m only intending 3 koi to start, if it proves to do well then I’ll bump that up to 5.

My last pond was in full sun from sunrise to sunset, only maybe 200 gallons more than this will be, and I was able to stock and keep perfect water with about 18 - 7”-18” koi and one weird 10” black goldfish.

But, I really don’t want that many this time, just 3-5 large pretty butterfly koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know several folks here rely on those canisters as there only filter so they can't be all bad, I never used a pond canister i jumped right to the bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I’ve really really missed the like, meditative peace that comes with ponding and koi since getting my divorce. I don’t love my backyard, which is why I’ve neglected it. The white door on the right is a storage room that house the water softener for mine and my neighbors houses (I live in a duplex) and I kid you not..... that little room is literally like ground zero nesting ground from the movie Arachnophobia. And I am debilitatingly terrified of spiders. I am going to set a bomb off on that room and the little path that leaves access through my garden to the door, will be lined on both sides with catmint to deter them from ever coming back. I’m happy that with an above ground pond I can at least spray some home defense around the base of the pond and all around my patio once everything is finished and then I’ll be able to sit out there without having panic attacks that these things are going to come out and get me!! LMFAO!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know several folks here rely on those canisters as there only filter so they can't be all bad, I never used a pond canister i jumped right to the bog
I’ve never used one before either, and have heard good things too. I don’t want to have to need it, which is why I’m going to wait to install it. But I’m going to make sure I leave room in the design to easily add it later. I love the natural approach of a bog. And honestly I think they do such a better job much more easily since your working with nature to do what she intended anyway!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the movie Arachnophobia. And I am debilitatingly terrified of spiders. I am going to set a bomb off on that room and the little path that leaves access through my garden to the door, will be lined on both sides with catmint to deter them from ever coming back. I’m happy that with an above ground pond I can at least spray some home defense around the base of the pond and all around my patio once everything is finished and then I’ll be able to sit out there without having panic attacks that these things are going to come out and get me!! LMFAO!

UM MM MMMMM You do realize that if it was to scale that if you were the spider in size the object that you would frighten would be about 400 feet tall.... WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY DO TO SOMETHING OF THAT SIZE ????????? SO THE SPIDER WILL DO WHAT TO YOU ?????

I would since you like planning look into a looking glass window to your pond. i imagine there are complete sets of plans out there especially since the brits love there raised ponds so. if i had to do a raised it would HAVE to have a window very cool look. it's like the fish are sitting at the patio with you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
UM MM MMMMM You do realize that if it was to scale that if you were the spider in size the object that you would frighten would be about 400 feet tall.... WHAT COULD YOU POSSIBLY DO TO SOMETHING OF THAT SIZE ????????? SO THE SPIDER WILL DO WHAT TO YOU ?????

I would since you like planning look into a looking glass window to your pond. i imagine there are complete sets of plans out there especially since the brits love there raised ponds so. if i had to do a raised it would HAVE to have a window very cool look. it's like the fish are sitting at the patio with you.
Have you seen the movie!!!
I actually got bit a couple years ago by a mystery spider..... that bite ate a hole in my leg! It was horrible!
I’ve seen the windows and they are super cool!! But I was worried that it would be difficult to regulate the temperature in the winter, making it harder for me to keep it from freezing solid. I usually keep a pump going so a hole stays in the surface of the ice, but I’ve never had any luck with heaters. I’ve tried several and they either don’t work or they burn out super fast.
Any idea how to keep it insulated with a window and yeah I would be all for it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you seen the movie!!!
I actually got bit a couple years ago by a mystery spider..... that bite ate a hole in my leg! It was horrible!
I’ve seen the windows and they are super cool!! But I was worried that it would be difficult to regulate the temperature in the winter, making it harder for me to keep it from freezing solid. I usually keep a pump going so a hole stays in the surface of the ice, but I’ve never had any luck with heaters. I’ve tried several and they either don’t work or they burn out super fast.
Any idea how to keep it insulated with a window and yeah I would be all for it!
use the same insulation to block up the looking glass window in the winter and when you want to check on them just pull off the insulation. and in the spring remove the insulation from over the looking glass

Don't need a movie i was just trying to calm you down a bit my buddy got bit by a brown recluse and it ate 1/3 of his calf muscle

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
use the same insulation to block up the looking glass window in the winter and when you want to check on them just pull off the insulation. and in the spring remove the insulation from over the looking glass

Don't need a movie i was just trying to calm you down a bit my buddy got bit by a brown recluse and it ate 1/3 of his calf muscle
Wow that is horrible!! I have a huge scar that runs down the side of my leg. Shattered femur when I was young. What ever kind bit me, bit me right on that scar tissue and I’m convinced that why it wasn’t much worse and only ended up being a quarter sized hole.

Thats a great idea for the insulation.... okay now I’m going to have to look into this....

Anyone every try those plexiglass tower things that bring the fish up above the pond surface? Can’t remember now what it’s called....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
elevator and I have not tried it because they are a challenge to fill lift support and CLEAN your lucky if you get 4 days before the glass needs cleaning Inside and out. i definitely wouldn't try it until the pond stabilized

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had pretty good experience with pondmax pressure filters. It also has a UV light in it which is good to have. It will help with any parasites. The filter really keeps the water clear.

Attachments

• 20200527_144218.jpg
    20200527_144218.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 182

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure how much it will help with parasites! Pressure filters are ok for smaller ponds, I have used them in the past but once I went over 3000 gallons they were too much maintenance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree my pond is only about 2000 gallons and is giving me great results. I suggested it in this thread because we were talking about a small pond. The UV light is effective in already clear water of killing free floating parasites, bacteria and viruses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So here’s a little update for ya’all!! Fingers crossed my plans all work!!

Before:
6FE88FF4-A017-4C09-ADC5-0E62BF469EEB.jpeg

Now:
208F09A2-8330-4C3B-9FDE-B0E3A45930C3.jpeg

428035D5-97D3-458E-8DF0-E38A569A0246.jpeg

Ask a Question