It's been a while but I'm finally thinking of a new build..... please help!!

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks great. Consider doing a fishless cycle. You can get ammonium chloride from chewy for about $4. It will take about 6 weeks to cycle the pond no matter how you cycle it. The plants will be fine, don’t feel that you need to rush it for them. You’ll need patience this year, even once the cycle is complete the new pond will take a while to mature.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The nitrification process or nitrogen cycle is a biological process that changes ammonia (NH3) to nitrite (NO2), and then to nitrate (NO3). To do a fishless cycle you add the ammonia to the pond daily to begin and maintain the process. The other option is to get a few fish instead but until the process completes, about six weeks, the fish will be under stress due to elevated levels or first ammonia, then nitrite.
Get a pond test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite and pH. Additionally it’s a good idea to also monitor KH (hardness) as the bacteria need and will slowly deplete hardness.
The advantage of the fishless cycle is apparent if you are purchasing expensive fish. Say for example you want to purchase larger shubunkins locally or mail order. If you are happy with “feeder” goldfish then fine but be aware a lot of the local pet stores feeder fish are already sick before you purchase them. I’ve purchased some from local PetCo and they’ve been perfectly fine but it’s always a crap shoot. If you have a good pond store that has shubunkin and comets and are happy with smaller ones to start than 2 or 3 will probably be ok. The advantage of the fishless cycle is not stress the fish and risking loss, the disadvantage is that it will take about 6 weeks (with or w/o fish) to complete.
Some companies sell nitrifying bacteria but it doesn’t really work. The only way to jump start the process is to get living bacteria from active biological filter media where they are concentrated from another pond or aquarium but you also risk getting whatever disease those systems have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The nitrification process or nitrogen cycle is a biological process that changes ammonia (NH3) to nitrite (NO2), and then to nitrate (NO3). To do a fishless cycle you add the ammonia to the pond daily to begin and maintain the process. The other option is to get a few fish instead but until the process completes, about six weeks, the fish will be under stress due to elevated levels or first ammonia, then nitrite.
Get a pond test kit to monitor ammonia, nitrite and pH. Additionally it’s a good idea to also monitor KH (hardness) as the bacteria need and will slowly deplete hardness.
The advantage of the fishless cycle is apparent if you are purchasing expensive fish. Say for example you want to purchase larger shubunkins locally or mail order. If you are happy with “feeder” goldfish then fine but be aware a lot of the local pet stores feeder fish are already sick before you purchase them. I’ve purchased some from local PetCo and they’ve been perfectly fine but it’s always a crap shoot. If you have a good pond store that has shubunkin and comets and are happy with smaller ones to start than 2 or 3 will probably be ok. The advantage of the fishless cycle is not stress the fish and risking loss, the disadvantage is that it will take about 6 weeks (with or w/o fish) to complete.
Some companies sell nitrifying bacteria but it doesn’t really work. The only way to jump start the process is to get living bacteria from active biological filter media where they are concentrated from another pond or aquarium but you also risk getting whatever disease those systems have.
I see, ok.... In the past I have always added the bacteria to help a new filter along. I usually get MicrobeLift PL.... I never knew you could just get ammonia and do it that way. When I started this hobby I had a preform and a DIY Skippy filter years ago and did just put it all in the ground and added 10 goldfish from PetSmart! So as I learned more and built bigger and better I always had the fish.
Thanks so much for the tips!!

Reaction score
So how much rebarb did you use. How far did you space them? Also is there a bottom to your bog? I might "borrow" your design it looks really good and is exactly what I want. What type of liner did you use? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So how much rebarb did you use. How far did you space them? Also is there a bottom to your bog? I might "borrow" your design it looks really good and is exactly what I want. What type of liner did you use? Thanks.
I only have wood ground level and above. Above ground is around 12”. 2’ long pieces of 1/2” rebar. I ran the boards so they overlapped at the corners the way log cabins do. And I ran rebar on each side of every corner where it would go thru every board and then spaced them about 2’ apart through the lengths of each side. I then used 6” trust screws. Horizontally through every corner to stabilize that even more. The screws were expensive, but they were no where near as thick as lag screws and did not need any pre drilling. So glad I went with those! I used HDRPE liner. It’s supposed to be really good. My first time using it though. In the past I always used EPDM rubber liners. Stay away from PVC liners they’re junk overtime. I used foam board insulation above ground inside the walls to help with water temp and freezing in winter. And I just used cardboard boxes as underlayment. This liner supposedly doesn’t need underlayment but I have a TON of tree roots so I was worried about those puncturing the liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Definitely impressed ! We all saw you come in here and ask questions , you did your home work and it shows. i commend you, nice work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree looks really nice! Next up some fish!
The fish are here!
Just love them and I’m amazed at how quickly they’ve become comfortable and social!

2E256F11-91CD-4153-B030-925025788714.png

A704826A-7530-4964-B11B-C7083DCDF733.png

264A31FD-3839-447C-994D-B61D6827A639.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Beautiful I love the lemon butterfly! Nothing to do now but sit back relax and enjoy. I find I'm most relaxed when I sit and listen to the water and watch the fiah just peacefully gliding around. Once again really nice job!
Thank you!! She’s (?) my favorite one too!! And yes I just never want to come inside now!

Ask a Question