It's official, I have fishues...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I dunno, that one on the left seems to be a bit more orange than red. That one could be a regular comet, but the one on the right definitely looks like a sarasa. The sarasas will have a distinctive red to them that just seems to get more intense as they get older, and they'll stand out from the orange of the comets.

Regarding tail length... that's just a feature of comets in general. I have common comets with really long tails, and I have sarasas with the regular short tail. I always try to pick out fish with longer tails because I like them better when the fish gets larger, however since people have helpfully given me fish over the years, I now have a variety.

Really it doesn't matter much what kind of fish they are, they're both very nice looking and will be happy growing up together. And they'll even breed with each other if you have a pair.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So it is just a... I mean so it is a common goldfish?

Honestly, I have no idea, lol. I like the fact that they are both white and orange. That to me is more noticeable than the short fins. Be forewarned that they may change colors as they get older too. One of our goldie/comet/whatevers started out all gold with white lips (named Hot Lips) and now he's developing more white on his side fins and underneathy parts!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree Shdwdrgn, I just wanted to be able to respond with something besides "I dunno" when friends ask... Lol
I was going to make up a breed if you guys didn't know, hehe. Now I can respond with Comet. (y):D
Is Sarasa just a type of coloring?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I think Sarasa is specifically that deeper red color, and they tend to retain the mixture of red and white colors, while common comets will generally change to mostly orange or mostly white as they get older.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had one for three years that started out orange and white with the orange being very intense. Last season the orange began to fade, and this year the fish is all white. I have two of them that did that. Am I using too much bleach?:confused:
:D

Congratulations on your new dependents! Names yet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I had two comets from my original pond which parented nearly all the rest of my comets (and sadly they were victims of the heron this year). The male had a completely white body with a thin red band around the segment by his tail fin, and then a yellowish tail. I have never actually seen an all-white comet before him, so I'm guessing that is somewhat unusual. And he passed this on to his children, with most of the males also being the same white with the red band. Fortunately some of the children survived the heron, so at least his traits will live on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are cuties, The one does look redder. I started out with a bunch of "common" goldfish, they all turned out great.

I don't pick favorites, don't name, anytime I do I am like TM they are sort of gone.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Congratulations Tbend! You held out for a pretty long time before getting fish. I know you are going to love your pond even more with your new pets. :)

Ask a Question