It's official, I have fishues...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
the ones I bought from the store for 'yellow' turned 'orange' too. I only have one true 'yellow' which I got from Raingarden store in Hawaii, which I hope to be daddy but he has not a chance to be that yet.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought I'd lost my mind. I kept counting 6 fish and no yellow one. I went back and checked the pictures to make sure I actually had a yellow one. Funky that they change colors like that, I had no idea.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN... I started with 6... Like 3 days ago, (it could be months I can't tell anymore). THEN I had 18 like 2 days ago.
There's more babies.
I don't know how many more, but more.
I saw at least 2 this weekend which as we all know is code for like 12 more because they only send 2 out at a time to lull you into getting used to them.
I didn't even notice the spawning this time, although I wasn't expecting it this late in the season either.
I'm
hitting
panic
mode...
The hubby has offered to "thin them out" which is code for fling them in my flower bed. I guess I'll call the local pet stores.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got them in the middle of June. So less than 3 months ago.
I must have bought them in the "fertile mertile" isle.
I mean seriously??? I'm starting to wig out. I don't want to kill them off, I doubt the pet store will take them.
ARHGGGGGGG
JUST SAY NO!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got them in the middle of June. So less than 3 months ago.
I must have bought them in the "fertile mertile" isle.
I mean seriously??? I'm starting to wig out. I don't want to kill them off, I doubt the pet store will take them.
ARHGGGGGGG
JUST SAY NO!!!

Oh my goodness, That was fast! They must be happy in your pond :D

How big is your pond (I don't remember)? You might have enough room for them (at least for now)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
2000-ish gallons, somewhere in there...
Maybe the neighbor is playing some Marvin Gaye when I'm not home.
Why isn't there a fish birth control pill or something?? This is getting outta hand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's crazy how fast they multiply. This year, I made sure I had no floating plant baskets ( safe place for eggs) when they spawned and stopped all feeding.....plus big water change, and had no surviving koi fry. It's a total pain to catch and re home them and I don't want to have to do that each year!

Fortunately I have a neighbor with a huge pond :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well if they keep it up, I'm going to have no choice but to get rid of them. I'm not going to worry about it this late in the year but I'll need to come up with a manageable solution for next year. Maybe see if I can find some cross koi/goldfish fish since I understand they are sterile.
I have no local ponders that I know of and really don't want to just randomly kill the babies since that seems super cruel.
I hardly feed them now, like less than a teaspoon in the morning, mostly just to say HI. I've got no less than 12 frogs living in my pond so essentially they are useless at eating eggs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
2000-ish gallons, somewhere in there...
Maybe the neighbor is playing some Marvin Gaye when I'm not home.
Why isn't there a fish birth control pill or something?? This is getting outta hand.

You have plenty of room for them then :)

Just start putting feelers out to see who might want some nice healthy pond fish in the future. Check in your area to see if there are any aquarium/pond clubs. You may be able to find homes that way.

If the pet store won't take any of your extra fish they might let you post on their bulletin board (assuming they have a board where people can put up ads for animals looking for homes)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I give all mine away and have never had a problem finding new homes for them .Ponders word of mouth spreads and people call me now .Once the word gets out you will have no problem getting rid of baby fish .Even garden centers that sell pond plants help out .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
One of my friends posted hers on Craigslist and they were gone super fast. I've been fortunate to know friends with ponds. Google water garden societies and koi clubs in your area.......I even learned about a fish rescue :)

Ask a Question