f.JPG

IMG_0704.JPG

This is the big pond gal, one of them
f2.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are huge and so pretty. I have one that's got similar coloring as your stock tank gal, only slightly smaller. I've got the mini me version I guess. Hehe. How long do they take to get to full size, do you know?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ha, you do name some of them Addy - 'stock tank gal' and 'big pond gal'. :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ha, you do name some of them Addy - 'stock tank gal' and 'big pond gal'. :LOL:
laughing no, just a identifier. The only ponds with fish, that I know of, is the 1000 gallon stock tank, the big pond and the deck pond. All others are fishless.
How long do they take to get to full size, do you know?
That gal was a two-three inch fish last spring i.e. 2014. not counting the tail..................

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok, a few questions....
We had torrential rain, I've added the 6 fish, and the temperatures are now consistently in the 90's. Monday the pond started looking foggy and now I'm back to green water. I've put the quilt batting back in to filter but I'm trying to figure out what caused it.
Also, I have been feeding the fish, but I add a pellet at a time and maybe 2 or 3 pellets are missed when I feed, I only do a tiny handful so could that be the cause? If so do I have to feed them or will they grow just fine without the added food until it clears.
I have not tested the water, I don't have a test kit yet, I'm just wondering if any of these issues, (temp, rain, or adding the fish/food) seem to be the likeliest of culprits.
The fish seem happy, they were scootching around the pond this morning, full of energy and coming closer to the surface, so I assume they are comfy in there.
Anyway any ideas?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm just wondering if any of these issues, (temp, rain, or adding the fish/food) seem to be the likeliest of culprits.
I would say excess rain, (nutrients washed in) and temperature. You don't sound like you are feeding enough to cause an issue.

When we get horrid rains mine does cloud up, but clear by the next day. I have a tremendous amount of plant growth and the huge bog to counteract stuff like that.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I don't remember you saying if you had anacharis or hornwort in your pond. It has helped control my green water sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, a few questions....
We had torrential rain, I've added the 6 fish, and the temperatures are now consistently in the 90's. Monday the pond started looking foggy and now I'm back to green water. I've put the quilt batting back in to filter but I'm trying to figure out what caused it.
Also, I have been feeding the fish, but I add a pellet at a time and maybe 2 or 3 pellets are missed when I feed, I only do a tiny handful so could that be the cause? If so do I have to feed them or will they grow just fine without the added food until it clears.
I have not tested the water, I don't have a test kit yet, I'm just wondering if any of these issues, (temp, rain, or adding the fish/food) seem to be the likeliest of culprits.
The fish seem happy, they were scootching around the pond this morning, full of energy and coming closer to the surface, so I assume they are comfy in there.
Anyway any ideas?
I think your best bet is to take the book approach to this it'll give you greater understanding into your hobby
These are two I would like to suggest to you :happy:

The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington.

And also

Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question