Ive got a murderer

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So last week in the UK we had our big freeze and wasnt able to check on the pond until monday. I noticed therr was a few fish missing but thought they may have been in hiding or something. Yesterday i went down and there was one of my GF dead on the bottom, i put it down to the cold weather and removed him. Ive gone down this morning and saw another on the bottom, i scooped him up and there was a frog attached to him! I had to physically prise the frog off, thankfully the tench was alive and i removed the frog from the pond.

Is there anything i can do to stop oi again? Also im not saying all of them were from frogs as maybe the cold spell played a part, ive lost 6 alltogether just this week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow. I've never heard of frogs killing fish

Other than this occasion ive only seen it once. My friend had koi that were drowned by the frogs, it was during mating season and once one male jumped on all the others joined in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was this a bullfrog? If so, I have had them eat many small goldfish over the years. They have huge mouths. How big was the frog and how big the fish?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bull frogs will eat whatever they can fit in their mouths! I had one in a small preform pond eat a sparrow last week.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What mrsclem said, ive had bullfrogs try to eat the fish in the pond, along with birds, young turtles, snakes, other frogs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Was a common garden frog by the looks? Was a small tench he had pinned down ( maybe 3-4") most of the fish were small fish that have dissapeared so im guessing he likes the taste!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Frogs and Toads when in the mood will try to mate with any fish that their arms are capable of grasping onto....
Sadly where they grasp koi and other fish are around the gills which can sadly kills the fish in question .

Dave 54

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I really appreciate this thread. We get some frogs every year, not bullfrogs because they aren't that big but this has really been an education!!

Ask a Question