I've Sprung a Leak

Reaction score
Well, it appears I've sprung a leak with a connection in my barrel that's been up and running about a month. It appears to be in the lowest conduit union where the water comes into the barrel. I noticed a slow leak falling into my sump pump pit at the lowest level. Thankfully, I was able to divert everything into my second filter, while I put this one out of commission for repair.

I had slathered the union fittings with PL roofing sealant as pond building experts suggest, but I guess I didn't do it thickly enough. So, now, I've gone back and emptied that one barrel so that I could add heaps more goop to it on the inside and the outside. It ain't pretty now sadly! I'll have to try it adding water again tomorrow. Hopefully, it will hold this time, otherwise it means undoing the whole dang thing.

Anyone with any advice on holding back a leak?

leak.jpg

Reaction score
Oh no KK, i hope that works,i know how hard you have worked on your pond.

Christy

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If it fails again try a 2" shower drain or a bulk head,, both have i little more surface area
the clear roof stuff works good its called,,, thru the roof

Reaction score
If you can take this unit out of service, let it dry and then apply Plumbers Goop from Home Depot. I have successfully used this product to stop leaks from a creek bed connecting a raised pond to my main pond.

Apply the goop around the area of leakage. The glue dries through solvent evaporation and needs 24 hours to cure.

I strongly recommend that you use gloves when applying this. This product will easily adhere to your hand. If you get glue on yourself, use toluene or naphtha as solvents. Toluene will remove fully set goop.. Naphtha, the primary ingredient in lighter fluid), can be used to remove goop from clothing.

9ccc67303e031a6e

Reaction score
Well, I stripped off all the sealant from all my fittings and started again. I think I bought just about every type of marine/wet glues that were hanging on the pegboard in Home Depot, including the Plumbing Goop Chef Dave suggested.

I also bought some crazy epoxy that will even work while the barrel is filled completely with water--so if I spring a leak while it's full I'll even be able to work some of this epoxy into it.

I can't imagine a combination of these won't work. LOL! Well, if they don't, I'm going to have to take a sawzall to the fittings--because I don't think they're ever coming off again.

I'll report back on this subject when I fill the barrel tomorrow. I'm hoping to have good news.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Good luck with that.....I replace a lot of stuff with a tube of silicone on it.
hope it works for you

Reaction score
Well, it appears I'm back in business. My hubby suggested we remove all the fittings, and put them back in but still use the standard PL Roofing Sealant. I was hesistant because I didn't want to be put back in the same situation--and had bought like 17 types of other sealants to try.

But he made a good point in that the roofing sealant can be removed since it's silicone, and those other products were pretty darn well permanent--and if there was an issue then, well, I'd basically have to cut the fittings to remove them (which I confess is not something I would be looking forward to). I did use the Chef's Goop stuff on all the unions in my pvc pipe to prevent any leaks there--and needless to say, I have no leaks at the moment.

[Saying little novenas...]

Ask a Question