joining to preformed ponds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just joined the forum need some advice ,got to preformed ponds close together wanting to join them together if i cut a hole in both of them can i join them together with a piece :)of 150mm plastic plpe thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Use bulkhead fittings for a positive seal. They are inexpensive and the only thing I would use. They are a two piece device with a rubber gasket. You drill the specified hole, then screw the two halves together. One half on the inside, one on the outside.
They come in any size pipe. You can get them in two versions. One with threads where you can screw your pipe into or another where you permanently glue your pipe to them. I prefer the threaded one for easy removal and reuse if needed.
There's even a version that can be used for ridgid curved surfaces. I don't think you would need that for a preform since the walls are flexible enough. I didn't need a curved one on a 55 gallon plastic barrel and that's a curved surface.
Here's an example of an 1-1/2" version for less than $6:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Agree with the above but curious, can you install one higher than the other and have the water flow into the lower pond? Just thinking. How large are the ponds?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1608400052819.gif
@bernardmavey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you might run into a problem if frost can get under either liner in that it'll stress the connection point. I'd get something flexible to allow for just this. Might be a whole lot better to just dig and make it a one liner pond; you don't have to worry about your preforms becoming unlevel and/or cracking with age. Too many stories on here of preforms having very limited lifetimes. jmho

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
you might run into a problem if frost can get under either liner in that it'll stress the connection point. I'd get something flexible to allow for just this. Might be a whole lot better to just dig and make it a one liner pond; you don't have to worry about your preforms becoming unlevel and/or cracking with age. Too many stories on here of preforms having very limited lifetimes. jmho
Great advice!
You bring up some very good points.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Preformed are made usually from some of the most inexpensive plastics there are. Yes they are a lot easier to find then is some rubber epdm 45. At least it is in your neighborhood stores. it's usually only found in commercial stores that won't sell to the public. you koi , watergarden, and online are usually the most common but if you go online you can find it anywhere. I would not spend my time creating a mini eco system using a preform tub. but thats me

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was also going to say - ditch the preforms, save the aggravation and get yourself a piece of 45 mil EPDM. Your preforms WILL fail - it's just a matter of time.

Ask a Question