Just got my Tricker's catalog today!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It seems odd @Jo Anne that your nurseries are so late with plants in your zone (8b per your profile). Seems like they would be prepared for an earlier start. Our nurseries have pond plants by early May in 5B.

But @CountryEscape makes a good suggestion - if you are willing to wait a few weeks, you may find people here willing to share. Or perhaps check your local Craigslist in your area - pond people are just like gardeners... we love to share!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
We didn't notice until the next day and by then the whole thing was a frozen mass. So sad.

So, this last part is why I was thinking it broke because it froze. How did the water not freeze in the garage, but after it drained, the plant froze? Or ... do you simply mean the tuber got colder and without water around it, dried out and died?
Yes, I definitely want to grow lotus! What you have pictures, @Lisak1 is different than what I got in the lakes, probably more "tropical" to a degree, but that's what I want. And, if they will survive in the pond under the ice, I have room! My koi pond has a shelf around the one end that I currently have pond lilies on, but they are not doing near as well as the first years, even though I divided them again last year, so I'm ready to try something new.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of pond plants are you looking for? Some of the members on here divide lilies and other pond plants every year, so some may have them. However, most of us aren't getting into our ponds anytime soon to divide plants. LOL The water is still pretty cold. I'm in zone 6a south central IL. Where are you located, Jo Anne that you are ready for plants already?
@sissy I've done that with the seeds, and had them sprout just fine. What I need to know is what do you do with them after they have sprouted? Do you plant them into clay/sand/soil? and do you keep them below water line, I assume?
@Lisak1 those are gorgeous, and it looks like they are just in oil pan sized containers. I have several big pots that don't have holes in them, a few that get water/ice and they have not broken. If that was a ceramic pot, that's why it broke if it was where it could freeze. A trick I learned at a little seminar at a landscaping place is to line your ceramic pots with bubble wrap, then add the soil and plants. This way the soil can expand and won't break the pot. So far it has worked well. Those ceramic pots are too heavy to move! I'll be interested to hear how the ones did you put in her pond . And, that pond is gorgeous! OMG, so much attention to detail. My pond just looks ... wild. LOL

I'm in N. Fla. We're in the low 80s most days now. Mostly something to put in the pond. My Iris' survived the winter and the Papyrus. The Pickle Rush is sprouting and the lilies are fertilized. It sure looks naked.

Attachments

• Pond March 2017.jpg
    Pond March 2017.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There was a thin layer of ice on the top, but when the water drained from the pot being cracked, the whole plant mass was exposed and froze overnight. Otherwise the water provides enough insulation to keep them from freezing. You couldn't even tell the water was gone because the ice cap stayed right where it was. It wasn't until we moved the car that we saw all the water and realized we had a problem.

We overwintered several in plastic bags in just enough water to cover the tuber in the house the next year - we have one room that stays nice and cool so we just kept them in there. That worked too, but nothing is easier than just leaving them in the pond. You just need to be able to drop them a deep enough for the winter that they stay below the ice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm in N. Fla. We're in the low 80s most days now. Mostly something to put in the pond. My Iris' survived the winter and the Papyrus. The Pickle Rush is sprouting and the lilies are fertilized. It sure looks naked.
You live in FL and you're talking about plants that did or didn't survive?! I find that hilarious ... sorry, not meaning any disrespect, but I didn't think there was anything that wouldn't survive your winters. LOL I have "tropicals" that I have to worry about, figuring they would survive the southern states (FL, TX, GA, LA), but not my central IL zone 6a. Good luck finding new plants! I get very few at my local nursery, and when they do have them, they are pretty pricey. I just wish they would carry lotus, but have never seen them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jo Anne; you could just get some potted annuals (or even perennials) to deco around the pond until your current ones start flourishing. I mean, we don't like seeing any naked ponds here––you know, it's a family friendly place!

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh, and yeah, got MY Tricker's catalog yesterday too. Guess I don't spend enough (like the rest of you) to get an early edition!

@mrsclem ; guess this means you'll be camping overnights more at your pond this summer, hey? Better learn how to take long-exposure pics!

Reaction score
Country
United States
For those of you who have bought at the store, how big are the plants? Are they tiny? The prices seem to be really good. I didnt know about this place and its only like 40 minutes from my house!

Reaction score
Country
United States
For those of you who have bought at the store, how big are the plants? Are they tiny? The prices seem to be really good. I didnt know about this place and its only like 40 minutes from my house!

The plants are very nice, size will depend on what you buy. If you order online the plants come bare root and wrapped in wet newspaper. You really should try and go to the store though. There are tons of fish, plants, and supplies. So much to look at. It's an old farm which surprised me for some reason. Really neat place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I am for sure going to go. I was so excited to see where it was located. My local stores close to me charge so much for plants, I will be able to get as much as I need for their prices. I cant wait to go!

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome from OHIO

Ask a Question