Just got our first partial freeze and...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Part of the pond surface froze today and one of the ranchus started having bouyancy issues so I brought him in.

Makes me regret that I somehow did not put covers over the pond surface. Oh well he gets to hang out with me in the office for 3 months... I hate water changes. Good thing I made an algae scrubber just in case I brought in fish I don't do water changes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is frozen except where the small pump is bubbling, in the low end, water down to 34 now.

Hope your fish does fine.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Part of the pond surface froze today and one of the ranchus started having bouyancy issues so I brought him in.

Makes me regret that I somehow did not put covers over the pond surface. Oh well he gets to hang out with me in the office for 3 months... I hate water changes. Good thing I made an algae scrubber just in case I brought in fish I don't do water changes.
Ranchus aren't normally considered good fish for outside ponds -- not as hardy. I hope it does OK. I have a Watonai that is now a permanent indoor pet -- and spoiled rotten!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Ranchus aren't normally considered good fish for outside ponds -- not as hardy. I hope it does OK. I have a Watonai that is now a permanent indoor pet -- and spoiled rotten!!

My other ranchus are fine. This one is only 4 months with me. From my experience with fancies, some need to be brought in. The ones I brought in last year so far are doing well this year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fancy goldfish don't tolerate the extreme cold like the common type goldfish.

I'm glad your current fancies are doing okay in the pond. I remember you saying you had telescope eye as well as bubble eye goldfish in the pond. I'm really surprised that they haven't had issues either with popped bubbles or eye loss.

Glad you noticed the ranchu that was having issues. At least now you have a buddy for your office ;)

And since you likely know how important water changes are in keeping those fancies healthy maybe you need to hire someone to do them for you :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Fancy goldfish don't tolerate the extreme cold like the common type goldfish.

I'm glad your current fancies are doing okay in the pond. I remember you saying you had telescope eye as well as bubble eye goldfish in the pond. I'm really surprised that they haven't had issues either with popped bubbles or eye loss.

Glad you noticed the ranchu that was having issues. At least now you have a buddy for your office ;)

And since you likely know how important water changes are in keeping those fancies healthy maybe you need to hire someone to do them for you :D

Grrr... I put up an algae scrubber already. It will need a couple of weeks before it will kick in to the point of reducing the need for water changes. Until then I'm stuck (especially since the filter is not cycled). The office is in the basement but I think I found a way to make the water changes easier. My problem was water access.

You're right to be careful with bubble eyes in general but I've wintered some before without issues, spring is when you worry about the fish in general. The telescopes on the other hand do well under the ice always. Floating issues that didn't exist before likely a problem with an infection. So in they go when the issue comes up.. I learned my lesson too... if they fish comes in, it stays in the entire winter. No going back when better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Scrubber start to gather algae last week... about damn time. I took out the heater from the pond last week. All the fish are back to torpor at the bottom of the pond, even the bubble eyes. All seem to be doing well. Today I saw my only koi use his koi cave for the first time. :cool: He must be cold.

Winter is half way through.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never say half over for winter as that scares me Last year I thought winter was over and then the cold hit late Feb. all the way into March and then had frost late that froze all the flower buds on my fruit trees .I just hope for better weather

Ask a Question