koi babies

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Only time will tell. Gene manifestation for color is very unpredictable. Breeders go through 1,000s of fish to get the color patterns they are looking for. You will know in a few weeks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I choose to be optimistic. Even the fact that you ended up with a male and female when you purchased the pair so small is awesome! And, within months you got a batch of babies! So, we all look forward to seeing how these develop, for sure!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you guys think a 3" would have its color finalized or not yet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll post pics tomorrow, but actually I have another concern. In the pond is a submerged cedar table with latex paint that I use as a shelf for the filters and aerators. It sat out for about 10 years in the sun and rain. Will the wood or paint be harmful to the fish? I'll take pictures of that as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Per a quick net lookup, it is a soft wood and will leach oils and breakdown fast in water. The general consensus is no for fish pond

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Koi can change colors for several years. It seems to me that I read somewhere that final coloration is 5 years. All my fry started out either black or orange and now I have every color possible including white and silver.

Reaction score
Country
United States
addy1 it's been in for about a week. Am I too late to fix this?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your concerned you could test your water and do a partial water change. I wouldn't think that enough oil or anything else has leached out in that period of time to do any permanent damage. If it had, I'm assuming you would have seen some indication from your fish by now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy1 it's been in for about a week. Am I too late to fix this?
By fast I don't think they meant a week. Get it out, keep a eye on the fish, change some water if you are worried about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The fish look healthy. They come up for food. I removed the table and I'm instead using cinder blocks which I thoroughly cleaned. I also added another, bigger filter. I'll do a water change tomorrow. Thanks for your help everyone.

Ask a Question