j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow never thought of planes spraying farming area's and possible contamination of your ponds. We don't live in a major farming community so thankful no spraying here. Wonder what they use in the sprays as a bug killer?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow never thought of planes spraying farming area's and possible contamination of your ponds. We don't live in a major farming community so thankful no spraying here. Wonder what they use in the sprays as a bug killer?

Depends on the bug they are chasing jw, the stink bugs are hard to kill. They have not yet sprayed the corn fields around here, but a lot of the corn is dieing do to lack of water.

They do use a liquid herbicide to wipe out weeds before they plant first thing in the spring. The field is far enough away, I am not to concerned about it, and downhill from us.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's good that they are far enough away from you but wouldn't want to be one who had a pond right underneath their spraying unless of course it is not harmful to fish which could be true as they wouldn't want to hurt fish in creeks or rivers nearby, you would think anyways. Sorry about all your corn. The corn around here is nice and green but way too short for this time of year. They won't have much of a crop here unless we end up w/ a nice long summer that runs through fall.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It keeps the deer from eating my yard plants jw! they do love that corn and the apples that are falling.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well then that's a good thing, just plant every year for them and if you get a good year maybe they will leave some for you to nibble on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW and Addy, I've seen air spraying in the past, but always for on top of alfalfa, which gets weevils, and usually too wet to apply by ground. This time of year I've NEVER seen air spraying. I've even seen them spraying on top of the corn by ground, and the tires on the machine were at least 6' tall, probably taller! That was a first, too. Not sure what they are spraying for. Some people say it's for the Japanese beetle, as it is eating the corn silks or tassles. But, we've had the Japanese beetles for quite a few years, never had a problem. I suspect it's some type of weevil that could possibly kill the corn before the ears are mature. Either way, the sprayer plane that sprayed around my fields (my 6 acres are literally surrounded by corn this year!) didn't turn on the spray until they were past my yard. The field next to my house they sprayed from the other direction, so didn't go over my yard. I'm hoping no problem from that, and as you say, if it hurt my fist, it would hurt the fish in the creeks as well.
It's possible that a raccoon came by and scared the Sanke, and maybe the other fish a few days later. I've not lost any fish, not seen a heron, but that sure doesn't mean that the herons are not coming by while I'm gone during the day. I am anxious to get home and check out everyone! Feel like a mother that has left her children for the first time. :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If they are spraying for the Japanese Beetle that is a good thing, it has destroyed hundreds of thousands of trees here in San Diego County alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I totally agree, Dr. Dave! I hate those bugs, they will totally kill any red colored leaf trees in a matter of days if not sprayed. I use liquid Sevin and spray them. Rose bushes are toast if not treated. So far they are leaving the tomato plants alone .... those nasty green tomato worms do enough damage, though. :) I have learned to buy trees that Japanese beetles do not like! Hoping my red leaf Red Bud trees will be left alone. So far they have left them be, but they are small and first year in my yard. If they can get rid of them or at least lessen their population, then I agree it's a good thing. I wish people would quit bringing in bugs from other countries as the "good" they are brought over for soon outweighs the damage they do. Asian beetles (look like lady bugs, but are awful!) are an example.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope all if fine w/ your pond children Country and do you have any back up plan for the Heron in case he does come calling? Cuz if he does come it won't take him long to get all your fish if he can. I have a wire fence and windchimes and other stuff as he has been to my pond in the past..............I even have the radio out there blaring!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We sprayed and killed thousands of those stink bugs last year. I am not spraying the corn, don't want to hurt the deer, ground hog and squirrels that are eating it, and it is too late now, we pulled a few mature ears and almost all of the kernels had holes in them, collapsed and yucky looking.

that is what managed to not die because of the lack of rain, a bunch of corn fields around here, the corn has died, same as last year.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Diggin, this concerns me now that you have a "fading" fish! This is my first year having a pond, so all sorts of things may be causing it, but you having one fading??? Around where I live, the sprayer planes have been spraying the corn fields, which literally surround my 6 acres. Something new must be chewing on the corn, and now I wonder if that has anything to do with this fading color problem. I actually took videos of the sprayer going directly over my house on July 25, spraying the corn on 2 sides of my "yard", although the corn is probably 200 yards away from my pond. My Boston Terriers and beagle have been sneezing really bad this year, NEVER known dogs to sneeze so much, so wondering if the sprayed chemicals may be causing that allergic reaction. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see how everything pans out.
I doubt it has anything to due with spraying,@least not my way........But I do know the pollen count is really high in Illnois this year!

I will agree with Dr.Dave,it is stress.I have lost 3 Goldfish since winter,and I know it has to due with the
domination of the koi,as they really over power them when it is feeding time.
I have tried to feed my last two remaining goldfish seperate from the koi,lol,that doesn't work ,much.
I will figure it out........... :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I got home just before sun went completely down, did get a chance to check out the fish, and they all seemed to be there (at least I could count all the koi and several goldies before it got too dark). Had girl give them 1 tablespoon of food each day while I was gone. When I went to feed them, they ate faster than I've ever seen, so they were definitely hungry, and probably did not appreciate getting "starved" while I was gone. :) I will sit and watch them in the a.m. with my morning coffee, and count to make sure all are accounted for. I do know the 2 that had faded colors both were in attendance tonight.
My goldies come right up and eat with the koi, all except for the few that are too small for the size of food, and the spotted fantail (Spot) comes and gets her share, even though the koi try to push her around. She's pretty bold! And, she has figured out to come under the floating primrose to get private pieces of food. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope you had a nice trip and glad your fish are fine and my fish act like that all the time. Every time I walk by they think they need food and are starving to death. The Primrose you sent me is growing so nicely and looks so good.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome back country, glad you had a great trip and your fish are sure happy to see their mama. My primrose is going gang busters too country, you sent some healthy plants.

Ask a Question