Koi color faded overnight - cause?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
JW and Addy, the plants you sent me .... well all I can say is everything is growing and thriving! I just looked in my bog, all plants grew a bunch while I was gone. JW, the creeping jenny is sure creeping! And the sedum are all living and starting to take hold. Addy, I can't remember all the plant names, but the ones that looked like sticks, they all have leaves, the 4 leaf clover is growing well, and the one that had roots (not sure which one of you sent some of these) is spreading! Woohoo, I love it!!!
Now, here's the really exciting news! I was feeding this morning, all fish alive and accounted for .... and then I see a baby! It's at least 1.5" long, and it's clearly a Shubunkin! Or, at least I assume that's what it is Then I noticed at least 2 more, all 3 are tri-colored! My favorites!!! Way prettier than the ones at the pet shop. I'm sooooo excited! I did see my goldies chasing, so assumed spawning, never saw the eggs, figured if anything lives, bonus! Well, tonight I will look longer and closer and see how many I can find. I'm sooo excited!!! I'm a grandma, finally. LOL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad your plants are all doing good and congrats on your new baby fish. You will have lots more I'm thinking. Let the games begin, lol!
That settles it, I am going to the pet stores to see if they have any nice shubbies in stock for my pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
congratulations grandma! country, love watching the babies grow and change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, I spotted the same three tonight. They are adorable! Growing really fast I suspect! I'm just thrilled that it was my Shubie that is a female, as the tri colored ones have always been my favs. I've looked at Shubunkins at the stores, and never saw any that I liked. The one I got is what I got with my aquarium originally .... you know, the "free goldfish" that started this pond idea! What joy they have brought me, hundred fold now! I'm glad there are not tons of babies, though.
Moved my plants around in the bog, moved the parrots feather, which had gotten to be about 2' in diameter, into the "pool" at the bottom part of the waterfall area, and it spread out and about took up the whole pool! It looks really neat there, though.
Then was moving plants around in the bog, found the baby turtle, and a big bullfrog which I petted some and about picked him up before he realized it and scooted under the plants. I took some pics of the new plants that I got that were put together as a "group" pot, and therefore no individual plant tags. Not happy about that, but guess what? I bet I'll get them all identified on here! There's really only a couple that they were not sure about. I'll post pics on the Garden Photography part when I get them downloaded.
JW, yep, the games HAVE begun! And, LOL, I told my daughter that I'm a Goldfish Grandma, and she laughed and laughed! She's 26, son is 27, and no grandkids yet. Never heard of a Goldfish Grandma, heard of Grand-dogs, though. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Parrots feather is a really pretty plant and I just would love it if mine would grow like it sounds yours is. Mine is growing but it seems it just takes longer than you peeps w/ all that heat. Glad to hear you are having so much fun w/ your pond, that's what it's all about, bringing joy. You just have all your little pets right there at your fingertips. I bet your right about getting your plants identified here too. Always somebody here that can help in one way or another. Happy pondering Goldfish Grandma! I have one grand-daughter 21yrs old and now getting another one (don't know if boy or girl yet) in March. Some gap between them eh?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very well jw and congrats on your new grandkid to be!
Fantastic country, glad to hear of your new kids and critters and plants growing great. My only grand kids are the goldies and shubies.

Ask a Question