Country
United States
drunken bubbles.gif
Gosh you speak Russian pretty good there comrad
biggrin111.GIF

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. It's not the same. You don't need any weekly maintenance products. Supporting the nitrogen cycle means nothing. Just hype. The nitrogen cycle needs no help. Everything it needs is already in your pond.

Prime is made by Seachem, or you can use Safe, also made by Seachem. Same thing, but Prime is a liquid and Safe is a powdered form. It dechlorinates and will bind ammonia and nitrite when they are present when the nitrogen cycle is getting established. So I suspect you are going to need it to protect your fish from those toxins.

When using Prime or Safe as a binder, it will last only 48 hours, so it has to be redosed at those intervals until the ammonia and nitrite are gone. It does not affect the water tests, so ammonia and nitrite will still show up on tests, but it won't be available to harm the fish.

What is your salt reading? I would not completely stop water changes until that is gone.
No. It's not the same. You don't need any weekly maintenance products. Supporting the nitrogen cycle means nothing. Just hype. The nitrogen cycle needs no help. Everything it needs is already in your pond.

Prime is made by Seachem, or you can use Safe, also made by Seachem. Same thing, but Prime is a liquid and Safe is a powdered form. It dechlorinates and will bind ammonia and nitrite when they are present when the nitrogen cycle is getting established. So I suspect you are going to need it to protect your fish from those toxins.

When using Prime or Safe as a binder, it will last only 48 hours, so it has to be redosed at those intervals until the ammonia and nitrite are gone. It does not affect the water tests, so ammonia and nitrite will still show up on tests, but it won't be available to harm the fish.

What is your salt reading? I would not completely stop water changes until that is gone.

Salt reading is 5198ppm using the meter, the tube test says it's at .06
PH is at 8.08, Nitrite=0 phosphate =0, Amonia=

Salt meter reading this morning says 5285ppm, the test tube shows. .06
PH=8.08 Nitrite=0 phosphate =0 to .25 it's hard to tell Ammonia=0
Happy Mothers day!
Another water change today.
These are the two new products I've bought, am I safe to add anything? Do I need to?

Attachments

• 20230514_072633.jpg
    20230514_072633.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230514_105706.jpg
    20230514_105706.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have chlorine in your tap water, you need to use the dechlorinator whenever you add new water.

In my opinion, you don't need anything else at this point.

Are you using liquid test kits?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have chlorine in your tap water, you need to use the dechlorinator whenever you add new water.

In my opinion, you don't need anything else at this point.

Are you using liquid test kits?
Most of the tests are liquid, I do have a PH and TDS meter.
I do use a dechlorinator when I add water, pretty sure our water has chlorine in it. It's very windy today and we have neighbors with big pine and cedar trees. Could the needles cause a problem?
Poor baby is really struggling

Attachments

• 20230514_113429.jpg
    20230514_113429.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 11

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I will add to the advice you already received there are almost no products that have truly the desired beneficial bacteria to help along the nitrogen cycle. The one I know and have used for various applications is fritz-zyme it has the correct truly beneficial bacteria to help with the ammonia and nitrite levels during the cycling process.

one way to know which product has beneficial bacteria that help with the nitrogen cycle is if it is refrigerated if its not then it is a waste of money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Makes sense that it would need to be refrigerated. These companies learned how to make $ off dummies (like me).
Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
The more I read, the more I'm beginning to realize that almost everything I thought I knew about my pond, was wrong. I'm lucky to have anything living.

From what I'm reading:
1. Yearly clean outs are not good
2. Weekly maintenance products are not necessary
3. Adding beneficial bacteria is not necessary
4. Adding salt is not beneficial

I should turn myself in to the authorities for koi abuse.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what I'm reading:
1. Yearly clean outs are not good
2. Weekly maintenance products are not necessary
3. Adding beneficial bacteria is not necessary
4. Adding salt is not beneficial
1. They are not needed in all ponds but not all ponds are in the sun all day or under a big oak tree. Or are next to a farm where top soil dust blows in all day. If you do see a lot of build up in the corners it is showing you where your dead spots are for one. Use a pond vaccume to pull out the sediment that's building up.

Most weekly are not needed but again my water may contain less amounts of minerals in the water. And you might have too much. What works for one person will not work for us all. It's your observations that are the biggest benefit to YOUR pond

3. Imo I'll say the same as above

4 salt was more for old school there is salt everywhere it's just a matter of how much we try to push it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1. They are not needed in all ponds but not all ponds are in the sun all day or under a big oak tree. Or are next to a farm where top soil dust blows in all day. If you do see a lot of build up in the corners it is showing you where your dead spots are for one. Use a pond vaccume to pull out the sediment that's building up.

Most weekly are not needed but again my water may contain less amounts of minerals in the water. And you might have too much. What works for one person will not work for us all. It's your observations that are the biggest benefit to YOUR pond

3. Imo I'll say the same as above

4 salt was more for old school there is salt everywhere it's just a matter of how much we try to push it.
I've been working hard on improving the water conditions. I since have added more filtration where the outlet will enhance water movement which will make for more beneficial bacteria and help with any dead spots. My fish seem happier and the water looks much better than it was.

Ask a Question