Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello

He looks much better in the vid and he does not look bloated.

As others have said some fish just do not do well in cold temps for a few seasons, and also what ever it is causeing him to get bloated takes affect in real cold water.
? Is he other fish sucking air from the top of the water or sucking algae off the edge near the top and in doing so sucking air in.

In Any case you will have to keep him in doors for the winter.
Bigger tub and filter is in your future

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks Ruben, now that he's warmed up, I'm getting ready to transfer him later tonight in the the 100 gallon tub. I guess my new questions is, I wasn't ready for this... What kind of filter do I get? I bought a basic "live stock Tank" from the farm store. Not sure how to filter it? I changed out the drain plug and added a valve and a standard garden hose connector when I need to drain for a water change. But a little confused on how to get a filtration system going.

IMG_2258.JPG
IMG_2257.JPG

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Well a decent canister filter would work as long as it is a 100 gallon capable or are you thinking more of a diy filter.

You could get a
2 gallon plastic flower bucket
Bio balls or lava rock
A pump 150 gpu or better (i would do 250 gph)
Filter pads course and fine
Some tubing and conections 3/4 or the size to hook up to front of pump

Drill a hole bottom of pot for connection not the bottom but at the bottom on the side.
Hook up pump with tubing and connectors
Fill pot with bio balls or what ever about 2 or 3 inchs from the top
Cut filters to size as tire a fit you can
Put it in the tub and plug it in.
It would be good if the water coming out of the pump could break the top of the water as this will add 0-2

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi Ruben, I like the canister idea, but most likely not a DIY project at this point. I'll get online and start searching.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What are you presently using for your pond. You can 'steal' some of the filter media to seed the new filter...saving yourself some cycling time for the holding tank.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Ahh.. good thought Meyer. My pond is a bit different then most, It's more of what you'd call an eco-pond. Not your traditional waterfall into the pond and terminating with a skimmer box. I have one large bio-fall that splits into two falls. Inside the waterfall box is a set of media filters. from the water fall there's a 15 foot or so stream that feeds the main pond. then goes info another 15+ foot stream and then a final waterfall into a large 1500 gal underground reservoir. I don't have one picture that shows it all, but outside of the bio-filters, not sure I have something that I can borrow from there.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
OK. I see. You have 30+ feet of stream that is providing your pond's current nitrification demands. Perhaps a few rocks from the stream beds would accomplish the same seeding. Unless, of course, you have no loose rocks in the streams.
If this is the case, do you have extra media filter pads for the biofalls unit. You can sacrifice one of the current pads and cut it into pieces that will fit into what ever biofilter you purchase. Voila! Instant cycled biofilter.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I just got (well last month) 2 fluval 406 canisters for my 100 g aquarium and I am very pleased with them. The price is good to they run around 160.00 a pc if I remember right got them at Dr foster.
I had the 304 and they worked good for like 15 years so fluval makes a great product.
Of course there are better price ones like the ehieams and they have good rep but never had one.

I would also push for at,least a small pump or air pump with a stone as soon as posiable well you get.the canister ordered and set up.

Ruben

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Makes sense... I do have loose stone/gravel in the streams. the whole bottom is gravel. I don't have an extra filter pad but can pick on up tomorrow at the store. There are two in bio-fall, so I think I can use one and just replace with a new one. I'm assuming that won't be an issue as long as I keep on old one still in there?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I presume you're not gonna hear the tub and it will be in an I heated basement or garage. If that's the case then you need a thermostat and watch the water temperature. Feeding and filter is based on that. If your water goes below 50, then minimal feeding and filter is needed... just don't allow it to get too cold like the outside else you'll have the same problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thanks for the canister info Ruben. online shopping now. I did have an extra aquascape air pump with two stone bubblers that I put in the tank. So at least getting some good air until I get the filtration canister. You've all been great and I really appreciate the "newbie" help. rob

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi Faebinder... The tub is in my garage that's kept between 50-55F. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the temp. Now that you mentioned food... I'm assuming I should try to feed a bit since they're in temps at or slightly above 50F now?? I'll try a little wheatgerm based tomorrow. right now I think they're a little stressed with all the change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about feeding them right now, just get them settled into the new set up.

Ask a Question