Koi laying on his side

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Right that's what I would do, after they settle feed once a day wheat germ based food while 50-55.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember go by water temps and not the temp. in the garage .My temps. here swing up and down like a yoyo ,but so far no problems .I have gone from 28 degrees at night to 70degrees during the day .I hope they are OK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi sissy, Yep, I do have a thermometer in the tank for water temp. Just checked on how their first night went. they look really good, water temp is exactly 50F. Ordered a canister filter and hopefully have that in place by Saturday. I'm assuming I should be OK with just the two bubbler stones until then??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember with your canister filter to flush it often and to keep ammonia down you can use zeolite .That will be your biggest worry .I always keep some in my filters in my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I never used Zeolite. first I've heard of it. Do you use in a media bag in the canister or just mix powder in water when levels come up? Sorry, still learning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi All,, sorry for more questions, but I' have had the 100 Gal tank running now for a month with a new eheim Pro4+ 600 canister filter system, which is made for up to 160 gallons. But I can't get the Ammonia levels to go down. they remain high but the nitrite levels are zero. All other tests are good. ph is around 8. I do weekly partial water changes about 40%. The fish seem fine, but I can't get the ammonia down. should I be concerned, or still give the canister some more time to adjust? The eheim canister does have zeolite type filteration as part of it. also, one other point, I also use a fine fish net to remove fish waste that doesn't go to filter to help reduce. Any insight would be appreciated .

Reaction score
Western Henrico County (Richmond) Virginia
Country
United States
Hi, Lisak1, I don't shut my pond down for the winter. Now that being said, this is only my second winter with it.

Hi Meyer, thanks for the article, I'll read it today. I bought a 50 gallon container and placed the 2 koi in there with aeration. The garage stays around 50 degree during winter. They both now have been in there for that last few hours and are starting to perk back up. Actually swimming around versus just rolling over on their side. Still a little lethargic, but moving. When I found the larger one this morning he was completely upside down with extremely little movement.

I"m keeping an eye on the rest of the pond and all seems good for now. I guess this was a good week to take off work!!
I had one of my very large 24" koi start floating on his side after a summer night of severe storms here in Richmond, Va. He looked just fine so I put him in a kiddie pool I placed in my greenhouse to protect from predators. Assuming air bladder issues, I added salt and antibiotics over a couple of months, tried to get him to eat, but nothing seemed to make him better. After three months, I reintroduced him into one of my smaller ponds only to find him DOA a couple of days later. None of the other 20+ fish in the pond ever showed any issues. Perhaps he just got too old. I don't know more than the above and was very sorry at his demise as I had him for almost 20 years. Best of luck to you.

Ask a Question