koi less active

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,, I have had my pond up and running for over year, plenty of plants and have a awesome filter system, with air stones in the pond also, I have noticed last couple of weeks my koi seem less active and not eating any advise please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
hello,, I have had my pond up and running for over year, plenty of plants and have a awesome filter system, with air stones in the pond also, I have noticed last couple of weeks my koi seem less active and not eating any advise please
This is an old thread. You should start a new one for better exposure and results.

Give us more details about your pond, fitration, fish, your climate, etc....
We can only guess without more details....

This may be the number one choice of ideas in my opinion:
Your fish might be acting shy because they may have been spooked by something. Perhaps a raccoon, bird of prey, feral cat, etc.

Or they may be stressed due to lack of oxygen, ammonia levels too high, rapid swings in Ph.

A common problem is overpopulation. They may have outgrown your pond and it has reached a tipping point where they are competing for oxygen.

A liquid reagent test kit would help identify any water parameter problems. API makes a master pond test kit. Dont use the test strips, they tend to be inaccurate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Check the water temp; koi tend to slow when it gets too warm. If it were oxygen deprivation, they'd be at the top.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1629496560220.gif
@Suzzie01

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Suzzie to the forum!
As a side note: @poconojoe, you mentioned this is an old thread. Please tell me I'm not getting sucker punched again! :)
Suzzie, since your pond is a year old and has been running well I am thinking it might be the weather.
Depending where you are located in the UK, I wonder if the cooler weather is causing your fish to slow down. In the colder regions, it is approaching the time of year to start thinking of winter preparation. Unless....have you added more fish or have your fish produced a bunch of offspring since last year? Any other changes to your pond?

Ask a Question