Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Quick questions, what is the difference between a bog and a water bio filter? is a bog just larger? is that the only difference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a wetland filter
up flow wetland filter = ALL THE SAME
A upflow bog
bog

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So good news for me everybody, Ive been able to convince my wife to build the pond on another area of our backyard. What does this mean? It can be a little larger! It will now be the range of 3500-4,000 gallons. Final measurements will be taken later today.

I checked online , I can save roughly 300$ to 400$ by purchasing a HDRPE instead of a 45 mill. Should I do it? I see a lot of positive reviews of people using HDRPE and then others ( I assume have not tried it) state to stick to what works (45 mill) since its been used for years.
I have used both, have both here at home. My HDRPE is tough stuff, yeah a bit harder to work corners but it is tough.

My small ponds, under 1000 gallon , I used epdm, have had to fix a few critter tears, luckily up on the edge. Not as tough. Looking for a leak in one currently, HDRPE pond no leaks. The epdm ponds are younger than the HDRPE pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have used both, have both here at home. My HDRPE is tough stuff, yeah a bit harder to work corners but it is tough.

My small ponds, under 1000 gallon , I used epdm, have had to fix a few critter tears, luckily up on the edge. Not as tough. Looking for a leak in one currently, HDRPE pond no leaks. The epdm ponds are younger than the HDRPE pond.

I will be ordering the HDRPE!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I ment a waterfall bio filter**

A biofalls generally contains some kind of removable, rinsable filter media - filter pads, bioballs, etc. A bog is filled with rock and gravel and plants. One provides more mechanical filtration while the other provides more biological filtration. And then they meet somewhere in the middle! To confused the situation even more, some people even plant the top of their biofalls to add biological filtration to the mix.

Honestly they are two ways of achieving many of the same pond goals. The biofalls gives you and instant waterfall starting point where the bog may take a bit more DIY engineering to achieve the same.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Would anybody know how strong of a pump I would need from my skimmer to my bog?

I purchased the following skimmer:

According to Catalog on the skimmer it can handle a pump of up to 5000gph.

Question is my pvc pipe will be around 12 feet long not including the system underneath the bog.

How do I go about finding out perfect flow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Would anybody know how strong of a pump I would need from my skimmer to my bog?

I purchased the following skimmer:

According to Catalog on the skimmer it can handle a pump of up to 5000gph.

Question is my pvc pipe will be around 12 feet long not including the system underneath the bog.

How do I go about finding out perfect flow?
With a bog, you generally don't want too much flow. You want the water to pass slowly for the full effect.

I'll give you an example of what I have.
My bog is 14 ft X 5 ft and 12 inches of gravel.
There's two 2" pvc pipes 10 feet long under the gravel as the manifolds.
My pump has an 1-1/2" outlet. I ran about 20 feet of 1-1/2" black flex PVC along the bottom of the pond from the pump to the bog. Then I added an adapter from 1-1/2" to 2" to connect to the 2" manifolds.

My pump is 3600 GPH and the flow seems perfect to me. Not too fast and not too slow.

You can always use a more powerful pump and split your pump outlet to feed two features. For example, one to the bog and the other to a falls or another water feature. You can have a ball valve on each branch so you can fine tune the volume to each feature.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
With a bog, you generally don't want too much flow. You want the water to pass slowly for the full effect.

I'll give you an example of what I have.
My bog is 14 ft X 5 ft and 12 inches of gravel.
There's two 2" pvc pipes 10 feet long under the gravel as the manifolds.
My pump has an 1-1/2" outlet. I ran about 20 feet of 1-1/2" black flex PVC along the bottom of the pond from the pump to the bog. Then I added an adapter from 1-1/2" to 2" to connect to the 2" manifolds.

My pump is 3600 GPH and the flow seems perfect to me. Not too fast and not too slow.

You can always use a more powerful pump and split your pump outlet to feed two features. For example, one to the bog and the other to a falls or another water feature. You can have a ball valve on each branch so you can fine tune the volume to each feature.

Great idea. Ive decided to go with a skimmer on one end, with a Biofalls and a bog as well. I will have the pump in the skimmer that will then split for both featires with a ball valve on each exactly as you described.

I think it is time I order my liner!!

For underlayment? Does it have to be specific? I see some on the internet for 200$ to 300$ but yet my local handware store sells Geotextile Fabric underlay much mcuh cheaper. Any difference?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3 500 gallons.

good question regarding plumbing, the skimmer outlet is 1 1/2". I can do 2" since I see a lot that is what is recommended for the bog.
If your outlet is 1 1/2 it makes no sence to go larger you could put a 6 inch line up to the 1 1/2 and it's still only has the volume to push through of the smaller.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What’s your soil like? Standard wisdom is to use a non-woven fabric in the 5-8oz range.
You can get much thicker they have 12 that's fairly common and pricey but you can go even higher. But agreed 8 oz is high side standard

Ask a Question