Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd only use it as a fine filter if i had a bog to go with it . or i'd fill it full of K1 and use it as a bio ifi didn't have a bog

Reaction score
Country
Canada
In that case I guess the question would be. Im I better off using 1 stronger pump having it flow through everything such as Biofalls, Pressure filter and bog or Im I better off having two seperate pumps. Considering my skimmer has a mac flow rate of 5000gph.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Must I build a retaining wall for my waterfall?

Also wanted to confirm that my bog has to be on a slope going towards my pond, meaning back of bog is higher then the actual pond correct?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Many people recommend two pumps for redundancy - if one fails, you won't be completely shut down. We run on one big pump and to be honest did have one situation where a second pump would have been helpful. But since we really have only one plumbing line (keep it simple theory) that runs in a big loop, adding a second pump didn't seem like an option.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
16500286911974555051010736930024.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are you pumping from a filter to the bog?

I mean I can do it however makes the most sense. In my head I figured I would do a mechanical filtration filter to get rid of wtv debris before going in the bog which acts as the biological filtration.

I can also do Skimmer to bog using pump in skimmer and filter to biofallls using pump in pond. If that makes more sense.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Skimmer to bog is the usual set up- you want the water to be clean (free of debris) but dirty (full of nutrients) for a healthy, fully functional bog.
Makes total sense given the skimmer also cleans up debris.

So I think I will do
-Skimmer with pump to bog

-Then Ill do submerged pump to filter then to Biofalls. Should I fill up my filter with Bio media or make it mechanical?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Many people recommend two pumps for redundancy
Honestly that 30% is just a wild guess. Ours is probably more like 10 - 12% by surface area and functions great.
I'VE BEEN questioning what i have been doing building the monster bog. the small pea stone i have has kept the pond well, water is clear

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Been a little bit , Hows everybody doing?

So Ive established my area , Ive measured out the pond. It will be 14 feet long by 8 feet wide by 4.5 to 5 feet deep, I will have "shelves" ect.. I estimate the pond should be around the 3,500-3,750 gallons.

My liner is ordered and on the way , should arrive May 8th. My biofalls is expected May 5th, my pump is expexted today. I already purchased/have the underlayment needed.

Ask a Question