Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@poconojoe Talking 4 or more decades my friend. it's amazing there' s any memory at all from those days

OVER STOCKING IS THE WORST AND NEED FOR HIGHER % IS NEEDED AS WELL AS FEEDING TO MUCH. IF YOUR DOING KOI 20% MAYBE PUSHING IT BUT GOLDFISH YOUD BE GOLDEN YUK YUK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe Talking 4 or more decades my friend. it's amazing there' s any memory at all from those days

OVER STOCKING IS THE WORST AND NEED FOR HIGHER % IS NEEDED AS WELL AS FEEDING TO MUCH. IF YOUR DOING KOI 20% MAYBE PUSHING IT BUT GOLDFISH YOUD BE GOLDEN YUK YUK
Dang! You're right.
Dark Side of the Moon was released March of 1973!
49 years! That's crazy!
We're getting old bro!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Past getting . but i never thought nor did anyone who knows me think id make to this age . I HAVE HAD SOME ADVENTURES AND SOME FUN

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was only but maybe a mild thought when that album came out. I grew up listening to classic rock, having older brothers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So what are we talking here? 3,500-3,750 gallons. Koi? How many or not recomended?

I'm far from a fish expert, but I think a conservative estimate would be about 6 big, fat koi. 1,000 gal. for the first and 500 for each after. Others say a flat 250 gal. min. per fish. Others still say something like 50 gal. per inch of fish.

You can push these limits with increasingly intense filtration, but then you're balancing on a knife's edge and it's more stress than relaxation. There's a chart floating around that shows how a koi's daily load of poo grows exponentially with it's size. It's pretty staggering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is no this is what must be done and this must be followed. Is your pond a relatively sterile environment dedicated. Koi pond where you must feed the fish constantly to give them there grazing needs. Or do you have an eco pond where the fish have algae to munch on all day . If the latter its a different need for gallons per inch of fish.
Being very observant to your fish your pond your conditions and noticing when things change as soon as they do is the most important thing you can do for your fish, inhabitants and pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I will add that sometimes things seem just fine as far as fish load, but then all of a sudden you may reach a tipping point since the fish keep growing. When this happens, water quality can suffer and of course can affect the health of the fish.
You just need to keep an eye on the water quality.

Ask a Question