Koi pond! Really confused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, I have koi (standard and butterfly) regular plain goldfish (they were feeder goldfish), comets, shubunkin and a couple of fish I can't identify.
The ones I can't identify are small white fish with an almost pink hue. They act funny when eating. They dart up from under the water, snatch the food by breaking the surface in a dance similar to a dolphin. They are hilarious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Be careful adding goldfish...Mine spawn heavily even with cutting down on feeding (I have a zillion tree frog tadpoles that they are eating though)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Yep, I have koi (standard and butterfly) regular plain goldfish (they were feeder goldfish), comets, shubunkin and a couple of fish I can't identify.
The ones I can't identify are small white fish with an almost pink hue. They act funny when eating. They dart up from under the water, snatch the food by breaking the surface in a dance similar to a dolphin. They are hilarious.
They sound really neat joe...maybe you will be able to get a pic for us so we can identify them:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They sound really neat joe...maybe you will be able to get a pic for us so we can identify them:)
Those guys are too quick to photograph!
They have sort of a flat body, are only about 4-5 inches long, are white with a pink tinge. They don't look like goldfish. Their body is different. More flat.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Helle everyone, has anyone use flagstone as a "border" for there pond?

I wanted to do a sorta japanese pond type. I am starting digging this Thursday!! Very excited!!

Also should I use rocks for the inside of the pond or keep it with the black liner? Some say no point for rocks since it will develope algea, some say go with black to really see the kois colors, some say rocks look more natural. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ANSWER
rock in the pond (1 of 1).jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
in my opinion Rocks all the way, but bald liner much easier for maintenance . but boring in my eyes . flag stone is more of a concrete or wood raised pond edge detail. so yes but in the same breath no

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I noticed you dont have any "shelves", can I technically have one giant hole and fill it.with water? or should I create shelves?
i do have shelves just not in one section. below this post is two links one to a blog of the pond . and a showcase that's more the nuts and bolts to pond building

Ask a Question