Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Why not goldfish instead of koi? She admits not knowing anything about them.
She knows nothing about koi but does know the difference between them and goldfish and has her mind set on koi. Unless their is a goldfish that is like a butterfly koi though because it was my solid white and "normal" orange/white/black spot butterfly koi that she likes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
She knows nothing about koi but does know the difference between them and goldfish and has her mind set on koi. Unless their is a goldfish that is like a butterfly koi though because it was my solid white and "normal" orange/white/black spot butterfly koi that she likes.
Butterfly koi are a great choice and they are one of my favorites

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Butterfly koi are a great choice and they are one of my favorites
7 of my koi are butterfly and are my favorites also. Except for the solid jet black & jet black with gold spot which are my overall faves but I am not 100% sure exactly what type of koi they are. Turtles are my specialty but I am a novice when it comes to koi.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As fr as the oxygen goes, How does that get administered ? Because I have pure oxygen that I use in one of my UW welding rigs and a cutting torch also. It is not "bad oxygen" as some may think either, as a matter of fact I buy it from the same supplier that sells to home health dealers.

Fish (sedated) are placed in double shipping bags with sufficient water to cover them. The bags are then completely filled with pure Oxygen and sealed (air-tight).

The netting and the ensuing transport is one continuous stress event. This is why the fish are sedated.

I am not sure what is being referred to as an immune booster, because technically such a product does not exist.

I am not saying that the fish will not survive such transport as would be required in your case. What I am saying is without the proper equipment and preparations the odds of fish mortality are greatly increased. At best the immune system will be compromised, exposing them to infection by whatever pathogens may be in their new home.

It is your fish. Your decision.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Fish (sedated) are placed in double shipping bags with sufficient water to cover them. The bags are then completely filled with pure Oxygen and sealed (air-tight).

The netting and the ensuing transport is one continuous stress event. This is why the fish are sedated.

I am not sure what is being referred to as an immune booster, because technically such a product does not exist.

I am not saying that the fish will not survive such transport as would be required in your case. What I am saying is without the proper equipment and preparations the odds of fish mortality are greatly increased. At best the immune system will be compromised, exposing them to infection by whatever pathogens may be in their new home.

It is your fish. Your decision.
I'm am not exactly sure what immune booster is either but I think I will take the risk of transporting them and might use the pump and also run pure oxygen into the tank through a air stone using one of my compressed oxygen cylinders in case that might help. Since it will only be two very young fish I think it will work out and they are covered with a 14 day warranty so if the worst case happens at least there is some recourse available.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have seen that at the pet store before. I never have bought any though because my water is well water so I dont have to deal with chlorine or chloramine.
It is a multipurpose thing. There is a cheaper variety that is just the synthetic slime coat.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
It is a multipurpose thing. There is a cheaper variety that is just the synthetic slime coat.
I have also seen ick treatments that say they can replace the slime coat too. I have seen people use ick guard before and it worked for the spots but again I have never used it or any supplemental type products of my fish with the exception being potassium permanganate to treat a sever algae breakout a couple times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Marshall
Whatever works best for you man. You now know how to transport them. The slime coat stuff is just an add on and is more of a precaution.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=652#.VjGWUnMo7qA
Immune booster is the way I put it. It forms a synthetic slime coat.
@Meyer Jordan

Had a feeling that you were referring to Stress Coat. Mars API no longer lists the ingredients on the product MSDS sheet, but at one time (and likely still is) stress coat was Sodium Thiosulfate with Aloe extract added. Sodium thiosulfate is the Chlorine neutralizer. It is also an irritant. This irritation is what promotes the slime coat production in the fish. The Aloe extract is only beneficial on open wounds or sores. The only immune booster that I know of for fish is the same that works for humans....garlic, but only if taken orally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're going to transport the fish, be aware of ammonia and CO2 buildup. The CO2 buildup will help the fish because it will lower the PH and the toxic ammonia (NH3) will change into less toxic NH4 (ammonium). Once you open the bag and the PH starts to rise again, the NH4 will change back into NH3. You could add some Prime once the bag of fish reaches it's destination.
If you will be aerating along the trip, the aeration will drive off the CO2 and ammonia (NH3) will build up, so add some Prime before you leave in order to bind the ammonia.
Also adjust accordingly for PH differences between the bag of water and the destination QT tank or pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Marshall look at it this way my friend , koi come from Japan and Israel in double plastic bags with Oxygen .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Marshall I've just completed an article about the correct way to catch bag and handle fish whilst netting etc it sould go a very long way to ease your mind , I've never lost a koi in trasport though I have had a bleeder [they bleed from the gills when overly stressed during the journey
Weve been showing since 1990

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question