Koi question (time sensitive)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Had a feeling that you were referring to Stress Coat. Mars API no longer lists the ingredients on the product MSDS sheet, but at one time (and likely still is) stress coat was Sodium Thiosulfate with Aloe extract added. Sodium thiosulfate is the Chlorine neutralizer. It is also an irritant. This irritation is what promotes the slime coat production in the fish. The Aloe extract is only beneficial on open wounds or sores. The only immune booster that I know of for fish is the same that works for humans....garlic, but only if taken orally.
The reason I referred to it as an immune
Just saying..... Koi can be difficult keepers to a newbie. Goldfish are a little more forgiving.
Actually that's a misconception as goldfish are technically pond fish and they require about the sane amount of care as koi do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Why not buy Koi online? Koitotheworld.com or someplace similar. Nextdaykoi from eBay too. So you dont have to worry about transporting them by yourself, they will just be ship right to the door....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why not buy Koi online? Koitotheworld.com or someplace similar. Nextdaykoi from eBay too. So you dont have to worry about transporting them by yourself, they will just be ship right to the door....

Trouble there Nephen is you simply dont know how they were handled the other end nor who really owns them especially on ebay there are sellers that regulary change their online name, these koi may be stolen hense the name change .
as such its better to be hands on when buying them, so you can see and view what they were swimming in and if neccessary refuse to buy should anything be untowards
The reason I referred to it as an immune
Actually that's a misconception as goldfish are technically pond fish and they require about the sane amount of care as koi do.
Thomas I agree with @Mmathis on the subject of goldfish the normal bog standard goldfish needs alott less in the way of husbandry than koi and can be left to their own devices.
It is the fancy varieties of goldfish who as you should know shouldnt be in a pond setting, they suffer a miriad of problems from ulcers to swimbladder issues due to the deformaties bred into them over many generations .
The Bog standard normal goldfish on the other hand is the fish that many fish keepers break their teeth on when they are first starting out in the hobby and prior to them specializing be that going into koi as we did or perhaps tropical fish may be their thing, with some even going into Marine fish.
I recomend a year or so of goldfish keeping before doing this to anyone who knocks on my door saying they wish to start keeping koi , call it an apprentership if you wish .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Trouble there Nephen is you simply dont know how they were handled the other end nor who really owns them especially on ebay there are sellers that regulary change their online name, these koi may be stolen hense the name change .
as such its better to be hands on when buying them, so you can see and view what they were swimming in and if neccessary refuse to buy should anything be untowards

Dave
The reputable ones like Koitothewrold actually is pretty good. Their Koi are from Black water creek koi farm. I got several goldfish from them even fish food from them and they are very good at answering my questions and once they gave me a wrong product, they sent the right one out to me for free. BUT, if there is a koi farm near by then going to buy it from the farm is probably way better, but if not, buying from the internet (in this case, koitotheworld) or say, petsmart, I'd choose the internet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The reputable ones like Koitothewrold actually is pretty good. Their Koi are from Black water creek koi farm. I got several goldfish from them even fish food from them and they are very good at answering my questions and once they gave me a wrong product, they sent the right one out to me for free. BUT, if there is a koi farm near by then going to buy it from the farm is probably way better, but if not, buying from the internet (in this case, koitotheworld) or say, petsmart, I'd choose the internet.
Petsmart has a bad reputation here in the UK Nephen animal cruelty staff that didnt have a clue are just two of their big faults .puppies from puppy farms sick and dying fish , sick animals the list is endless

DAve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Petsmart has a bad reputation here in the UK Nephen animal cruelty staff that didnt have a clue are just two of their big faults .puppies from puppy farms sick and dying fish , sick animals the list is endless

DAve
They are also the home depot of pet supplies; they don't know what they're talking about.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Blackwater Creek will sell direct to anyone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Blackwater Creek will sell direct to anyone.
Yes they do! (y) I used to looked at them quite often but they dont have picture of individual goldfish (only Koi) so i dont usually buy directly from them.

Just look at them right now and they do have picture of goldfish now!!!!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes they do! (y) I used to looked at them quite often but they dont have picture of individual goldfish (only Koi) so i dont usually buy directly from them.

Just look at them right now and they do have picture of goldfish now!!!!
In the past I have purchased their 'Sanke Gold' and 'Black Opal' special hybrids for customers. A little expensive, but these are quite beautiful fish that closely resemble Koi in colors and patterns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In the past I have purchased their 'Sanke Gold' and 'Black Opal' special hybrids for customers. A little expensive, but these are quite beautiful fish that closely resemble Koi in colors and patterns.
yes they are very beautiful. I looked at them all the time! That's before I know about Watonai and now I'm serching for Watonai with pretty colors. I have watonai Sanke Gold and watonai Black Opal :X3: Black water probably raise watonai but they dont have them listed, but Koitotheworld does.
Looking at the price, it's expensive but not too bad considering when buying from other place the shipping cost is at least $45 (even though you buy one fish) and with Black water, it's free shipping.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
yes they are very beautiful. I looked at them all the time! That's before I know about Watonai and now I'm serching for Watonai with pretty colors. I have watonai Sanke Gold and watonai Black Opal :X3: Black water probably raise watonai but they dont have them listed, but Koitotheworld does.
Looking at the price, it's expensive but not too bad considering when buying from other place the shipping cost is at least $45 (even though you buy one fish) and with Black water, it's free shipping.
Air Freight is very expensive.

Ask a Question