Koi Rescue in VA ... Please Help!

Reaction score
All,

I just came back from work and my pond is almost empty. I'm guessing the plastic liner has a massive hole, even though it holding water yesterday.

I'm looking for a person/rescue that can take my 2 koi and 2 goldfish. I'm trying to contact koi associations without any results.

Could someone please help me? I'm going to try to get a plastic pond for the time being, but the fish are fairly large.

Thanks in advance,
G

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can buy stock tank they have large ones at tractor supply or you can get an intex pool they have them at walmart here already .I live near the NC border

Reaction score
I'm in Spotsylvania ... far away from you.

I'm going to get a plastic pool or something similar. My concern is that raccoons might get a hold of them. My pond was pretty deep about 2.5 feet.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
get a bird net at lowes or home depot and some clamps or use heavy rocks bird netting is a fine mesh and is only 8 dollars and is in the garden center by the fencing

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
put the net over the top tight so fish cannot jump out and make sure rocks are heavy to hold net to the ground it will keep them safe and clamps around the edge will hold it tight

Reaction score
Sissy ... thanks for the help. I think I found the culprit. The net for the lava rocks was blocking the water fountain making the filter overflow with water. I'm slowly filling the pond as we speak, but I'm going to get a plastic pond just in case. Hopefully they won't die from the water shock. I'm treating the water too.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
good luck gdal- Had a leak in our old pond 2 weeks ago and thought we had it fixed. Half the water has disappeared overnight again and now it is below the patch for the hole we found. Have shut down my bog and put my filter in a container to check for leaks. Moving up the date to sell these fish in case I can't find and fix the problem.

Reaction score
Thanks ... Believe it or not I cleaned the filter yesterday and it's completely clogged with algae. I've been using Algae fix for a few days. I guess I have to clean the filters daily until my algae problem is resolved.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
algae fix can sometimes harm fish get quilt batting put it in your filter and try to manually remove as much larger algae clumps

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is too early in the season for plastic kiddie ponds. A large trash can with a new garbage can liner and an aerator will work fine. Run a submersible pump for circulation. If they are to be in there long, use an aquarium filter.
These koi, regardless of size can be saved if you think outside the box.
Frequent water changes if they are to be in there for days. Most important, do not panic, think... This is doable.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never thought of trash can but as long as the fish fit as garbage cans come really big and with it being that high at least they won't jump out .It seems with a pond you have to prepared for everything that could happen .I have one of those large tanks from tractor supply that are white called water tanks cut the top off and was even considering it for a giant sized bog as it is not real tall but wide .I got it cheap because the top was cracked .I always ask when I see something damaged like that because you never know when you will need it oh and thank you addy I tried as best as I could

Reaction score
Well I just got done filling the pond again ... I'm 99% sure that the clogged filters were the culprit. I'll check the pond early in the morning before heading to work. I have a 350 gallon pond, but my water pump is rated at 2000 gpm. If the filter gets clogged, it will overflow pretty quick.

Thanks for the advice and support!! I'll keep you guys/gals posted.

Ask a Question